Man pleads guilty in Homer gun theft case

Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A 20-year-old Homer man pleaded guilty in Kenai superior court Monday to a misdemeanor charge for his involvement on a night when weapons were stolen from a police officer's car.

Taw Farrow was initially charged with four felonies, including gun theft and tampering with physical evidence. He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor attempted tampering with physical evidence count yesterday.

Taw Farrow's guilty plea comes with the understanding that he will serve 40 days in jail after 320 days of his 360-day sentence are suspended.

Anastasia K. Leach, 19, pleaded guilty in the case in March and is scheduled for a sentencing hearing this afternoon.

Leach has been charged with counts of felony theft, felony firearm theft and felony tampering with physical evidence.

Homer police first arrested Leach for stealing a bag from Homer Police Officer Stacy Luck's car in December. The bag held two Glock .40-caliber handguns and other equipment. Police investigation eventually revealed Farrow and William Gilbert, 23, had touched the weapons. Gilbert, who faces a felony tampering with evidence charge, is scheduled for a change of plea hearing this afternoon.

A duty belt, a Glock Model 22 .40-caliber handgun, a Glock Model 27 handgun, a police uniform badge, two ammunition magazines, a Motorola XTS-5000 portable radio, handcuffs and pepper spray were reported missing in the theft.

Police said that at about 1 a.m. Dec. 15, Leach stole the gear bag from Luck's personal car, a 2001 Honda Infiniti SUV, parked outside of Luck's home off East End Road in Homer. Homer police said the car was not locked.

Police said they believe Leach had been going through vehicles in the neighborhood looking for money and items to sell after her Dodge pickup truck ran low on gas.

In interviews with police, she told them she had entered Luck's truck and stole the gear bag. She said she and Farrow drove out East End Road, and the pickup ran out of gas near Mariner Drive.

She said she panicked and threw the bag into trees off the side of the road. Leach and Farrow then walked to his home on Little Fireweed Avenue, where he lives with Gilbert, and spent the night.

Police believe Leach took the handguns out of the bag before she threw it away.

While on patrol the afternoon of Dec. 15, Officer Luck found Leach's truck out of gas on the side of East End Road. A man walking near the truck told Luck he found the duffel bag with Luck's flat badge.

Police said Leach told them Gilbert saw police at Leach's truck and told Leach and Farrow they had to leave.

Anchorage police eventually arrested Gilbert and Farrow.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us