Current weather

  • Scattered clouds
  • 54°
    Scattered clouds

Eight left homeless by fire

Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2002

ANCHORAGE(AP) -- An Anchorage apartment fire left eight people homeless early Tuesday morning.

The fire broke out in a four-plex in South Anchorage at about 4:25 a.m., Anchorage Fire Department spokesman Tom Kempton said.

A man in a neighboring apartment building saw the flames and awoke his neighbors.

''It was the neighbor's heroic action that got everybody out,'' Kempton said.

One woman suffering from smoke inhalation was hospitalized and a firefighter suffered a knee injury.

Fire crews brought the blaze under control in about an hour.

The fire was caused by the careless disposal of a cigarette on the deck of a ground-floor unit, Investigator Dan Diehl said.

Damage is estimated at $200,000, Kempton said.



CONTACT US

  • 150 Trading Bay Rd, Kenai, AK 99611
  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS