Smoking locker sends fire trucks to Skyview

Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2006

Students evacuated Sky-view High School on Wednesday morning after a small fire ignited in the boy’s locker room, burning shoes and clothing in three lockers.

Central Emergency Services received a call reporting the fire at 8:50 a.m. and arrived on the scene within five minutes, but a teacher and two students already had extinguished the fire using wastebaskets filled with water by the time emergency responders arrived, said CES Fire Marshal Gary Hale.

No injuries were reported and the locker room sustained light smoke damage.

Hale estimated the fire created about $500 in damage to lockers and $300 worth of damage to shoes and clothes.

“These kids do not have cheap stuff in lockers,” he said.

Damaged goods included several pair of shoes worth more than $100 each.

The fire began in a single locker but had spread to the two adjacent lockers before it was extinguished.

Smoke from the fire did not penetrate the main corridor of the school and students returned to classes at 9:05 a.m.

One engine, a medic and two command vehicles responded to the fire.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS