Ask the Mayor

Posted: Monday, April 22, 2002

Flood-plain building permit explained

Editor's Note: The following weekly column is designed to help answer residents' questions about the Kenai Peninsula Borough and its government.

Question: When is a flood-plain building permit required?

Answer: A flood-plain building permit is required if you plan to build, rebuild, make improvements to a structure or conduct earth work in a flood plain. Maps have been published to help identify flood plains within the Kenai Peninsula Borough.

These maps are called Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) and are developed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency through the National Flood Insurance Program. If you would like to see if your land is within a flood plain, maps are available at the Kenai River Center, located across from the Soldotna airport on Funny River Road. Staff at the KRC can provide you with information and issue you a permit at no charge.

Most homeowners' insurance policies do not cover loss from flooding. Anyone may purchase flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program as long as the community participates in the program. The entire Kenai Peninsula Borough participates with the exception of the cities of Homer, Kenai and Soldotna.

You can purchase flood coverage any time. However, there is a 30-day waiting period before a policy is effective.

Flood insurance can reduce your financial loss due to flooding and help make financing available for your project.

For more information on flood plains and flood insurance, contact the Kenai River Center at 260-4882.

You may send your questions to:

Mayor Bagley

144 N. Binkley

Soldotna, AK 99669

Fax: (907) 262-8616

E-mail: bdove@borough.kenai.ak

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us