An Anchorage man charged with six felonies and two misdemeanors stemming from a domestic violence incident late last year pleaded guilty Thursday afternoon in a change of plea hearing.
Ryan Cox, 35, pleaded guilty to second-degree assault and first-degree burglary -- both class B felonies -- under the condition that the kidnapping, assault in the first, third, and fourth degree, and criminal mischief charges be dismissed.
According to an affidavit submitted by Alaska State Trooper Joseph Miller, Cox broke through the front door of his ex-girlfriend's Sterling cabin just after midnight on Dec. 13. He repeatedly assaulted the woman for about an hour, placing his hands over her nose and mouth causing her to almost lose consciousness.
At one point, Cox "pushed her face down onto the bed and grabbed her head from behind, twisting her neck." The victim reported he was trying to break her neck, and that she was afraid she was going to die.
The woman attempted to flee and escaped the cabin at one point, but Cox grabbed her, brought her back into the house, and continued physically assaulting her. Cox produced a roll of bright pink tape, and told the victim that he was going to tape her up and make her watch him kill himself.
The victim tried to call 911 without Cox's knowledge, but had to toss the cell phone away so he would not know what she was doing. Operators received the call, and could hear a female crying and a male stating, "(Victim's first name), I'm not going to hurt you."
Finally managing to break free, the victim fled on foot from the cabin and ran to the Central Emergency Services station in Sterling. She called 911 again from there, hysterical, crying and saying Cox had tried to kill her.
Responding troopers noted numerous injuries to the victim's face and neck, including a large abrasion on one side of her forehead and multiple bruises on her cheeks, chin and neck. Her nose was swollen and red.
Cox's bail was initially set at $100,000 and later reduced to $25,000 cash performance, $25,000 cash appearance, and court-approved third-party custodian. He remained in custody Thursday, and the prosecutor said there was little chance he will make bail before his sentencing hearing in May.
The plea agreement has Cox serving five years with four suspended for the second-degree assault change, and three years with two suspended for the burglary charge. It boils down to two years served, with five years of probation.
The agreement stipulated Cox must complete substance abuse treatment, partake in a batterer intervention program, and receive a mental health evaluation. He is not allowed any contact with the victim, and must pay restitution.
Cox's sentencing hearing is scheduled for May 27.
Karen Garcia can be reached at karen,firstname.lastname@example.org.
Peninsula Clarion © 2016. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us