Sports Briefs

Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005

Nikiski club wrestles in Chugach tourney

The Nikiski Freestyle Wrestling Club wrestled at the Chugach Eagles Wrestling Tournament April 16.

At Prebantam, Ian Johnson took first place at 45 pounds. At Bantam, Gregory Brown took third place at 55 pounds A and Luke Johnson took first place at 70 pounds.

At Midget, Joshua Brown took first place at 65 pounds A, Jesse Ross took fourth place at 65 pounds B, Morgan Sauve took third place at 75 pounds, Lincoln Johnson took second place at 87 pounds, Jesse Kuntz took second place at 95 pounds and Dominic Ronellenfitch took second place at 112 pounds.

At Novice, Tyler Baker tied for fourth place at 65 pounds, Sam Schilling took sixth place at 85 pounds, Kaden Spurgeon took fifth place at 100 pounds and Corey Green took fourth place at 120 pounds.

At Schoolboy/girl, Deni Humphrey took sixth place at 150 pounds. At Cadet, Michael Sauve tied for fourth place.

Kenai boys drop two on road

The Kenai Central High School boys soccer team took baby steps on a road trip to Anchorage, dropping a 3-0 decision to East Friday and playing to a 1-1 draw with Grace Christian Saturday.

Both games were played on the Anchorage Football Stadium turf.

Against East, coach David Landry said his squad played a fairly even match through most of the first half until the Thunderbirds were able to slip a shot past freshman goalkeeper Justin Wisniewski with about 10 to go until the half.

East added a pair of goals in the second half, one of them in stoppage time.

In Saturday's game, Grace took advantage of a Kenai defensive breakdown to score first early in the match.

Kenai equalized just before the half as midfielder Dusty Ward found Tyler Smith making a nice run. A Grace defender hauled down Smith in the penalty area, and Ward converted the ensuing penalty kick.

Landry said the Kardinals pounded the Grizzlies in the second half, but just couldn't get the equalizer. Wisniewski was called on the make several saves in the second half, including a big one with a diving stop to preserve the tie.

Landry said his defense played well, citing Ryann Hansen, Ju Kim, Josh Werba and Jeremy Dyson, and added that Ward was strong in the midfield and worked well with Cory Whiteley, Smith and Pass Intajuch.

Kenai (0-1-1) is slated to host Colony Thursday.

East girls 3, Kenai 0

Grace girls 2, Kenai 1

Against East Friday, Kenai coach Dan Verkuilen said his squad looked like a team that was "playing its first game against a team that's played a few already."

East led 1-0 at the half and added two more in the second half, one on a penalty kick.

"We're getting used to working together. All in all, it was a good starting point," Verkuilen said.

Verkuilen said the loss to Grace was a little disappointing because he felt the Kardinals controlled play for much of the match.

"Our biggest challenge will be taking more shots when opportunities arise. We tended to overpass," Verkuilen said.

Verkuilen said he did see quite a bit of improvement in Saturday's game. Taylor Brewer scored with 2 1/2 minutes left in the first half, taking a feed from the midfield, cutting the ball back and placing a nice shot on goal. Brewer's goal tied the game at one, but Grace scored 15 minutes into the second half.

Verkuilen said Whitney Ischi played well as she learns the sweeper position, and added that Sam Calderwood played well on defense.

Verkuilen also liked what he saw from his midfield of Chelsea Harris, Chelsea Brewer, Haley Mishler and Karlyn Remsen.

Homer girls 2, Wasilla 0

Wasilla boys 3, Homer 1

The Homer and Wasilla soccer teams split a pair of games Thursday in Wasilla.

Mosley wins first comeback fight

LAS VEGAS — Shane Mosley was smaller and faster, just like he wanted to be. Something else was also different Saturday night for Mosley — he was a winner for the first time in his last three fights.

Returning to the ring as a welterweight after losing two straight 154-pound fights to Winky Wright, Mosley was impressive in spurts on his way to a unanimous 10-round decision over David Estrada.

''I wanted to feel myself out and move around a bit, see what was right,'' Mosley said. ''I haven't fought eight ounce gloves in a while and I didn't know what to expect.''

Mosley won easily on all three ringside scorecards, with one judge giving him nine of the 10 rounds. He hurt Estrada with left hooks to the body midway through the fight but was never able to put Estrada down.

''I thought I hurt him to the body but he did a great job of covering the body well,'' Mosley said. ''He's a tough fighter and he had a strong will.''

Mosley wasn't the only welterweight giving an impressive performance on the outdoor card at Caesars Palace. Antonio Margarito set up a possible summertime fight with Mosley with an dominating win over Kermit Cintron.

Margarito knocked Cintron down four times before Cintron's corner finally called an end to the fight at 2:12 of the fifth round to retain the WBO version of the 147-pound title.

Cintron was cut in the third round and knocked down twice in both the fourth and fifth rounds as Margarito turned what had been a highly anticipated matchup into one-sided rout.

It was the first loss in 25 fights for Cintron, who came into the fight with 22 knockouts and a reputation as a big puncher and early finisher. But it was the more experienced Margarito (31-4, 22 knockouts) who dominated the fight from the third round on and landed almost at will with big right hands.

''I always said a puncher could be knocked out at any time,'' Margarito said. ''He had not faced anyone even close to the level I fought. I knew that would be the difference in the fight.''

Margarito cut Cintron over the right eye with a punch in the third round, and blood flowed into his eye. The blood seemed to affect Cintron, who was hurt by a right hand in the fourth round and then put down by a flurry of punches in his corner.

Margarito put Cintron down again late in the round and two more times in the fifth round before Cintron's corner told referee Kenny Bayless their fighter had had enough.

''We came out confident what we could do to this guy,'' Margarito said. ''We had a perfect strategy for this guy and it showed.''

Cintron said he didn't listen to his corner's instructions when he should have.

''I was ready. I was prepared for this fight,'' Cintron said. ''I wasn't following instructions and I paid for it. For some reason I wasn't listening to my corner.''

Mosley was visibly smaller than in his last fight in November against Wright despite weighing only six pounds less at 148 pounds.

The former three-time champion decided to move back to 147 pounds in hope of regaining some of the speed that won him titles at 135 and 147 pounds. He looked faster, though he threw combinations only sparingly.

''I thought I hurt him to the body, but he did a great job of covering the body well,'' Mosley said.

Mosley (40-4) won his first 38 fights but is 1-4 since with one no contest. He had far more experience and skills than Estrada (18-2), who had legendary trainer Angelo Dundee in his corner.

''I'm still not 100 percent where I want to be but I felt a lot better in this fight,'' Mosley said.

In a heavyweight fight, Calvin Brock survived a seventh round knockdown to win a unanimous decision over Jameel McCline, despite giving away 47 pounds to his bigger opponent.

Brock, a 2000 Olympian, remained unbeaten in 25 fights by being the aggressor and taking the fight to McCline. He rocked McCline (31-5-3) on several occasions, and landed the crisper punches against his 6-foot-6, 265-pound opponent.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us