Current weather

  • Scattered clouds
  • 54°
    Scattered clouds

Faulty furnace caused Mountain Village store fire

Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2001

ANCHORAGE (AP) -- State fire officials said a faulty furnace caused Monday's fire that destroyed the Mountain Village store.

No one was injured in the fire. But the fire caused damage estimated at more than $450,000.

The 7,500-square-foot building was located in the center of the village. It was about 100 feet from several fuel storage tanks. Firefighters were able to keep the flames away from the fuel tanks.

The store was one of two that served more than 900 residents of the Yukon River community. It underwent extensive remodeling last year and reopened in December. The building was owned by the Azachorok Corp.



CONTACT US

  • 150 Trading Bay Rd, Kenai, AK 99611
  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS