Sports Briefs

Posted: Friday, April 27, 2001

Skyview set for Skyview Invitational

It may be hard to believe, but the Skyview Invitational got even bigger this week.

The two-day meet, which begins today at Skyview High School at 3 p.m. with 20 schools scheduled to attend, already had the largest field of any meet this season.

However, this week Skyview athletic director John Andrews learned some other athletes whose teams were not scheduled to attend will make an appearance anyway. One of those athletes is East senior distance runner Kikkan Randall, who is one of the best distance runners in the state.

After Friday, which will have the 3,200-meter run and all the field event finals except for the triple jump, the meet will continue Saturday at 10 a.m.

Americans top leaderboard at LPGA event

AUSTIN, Texas -- Americans Rosie Jones and Tina Barrett have heard enough about foreign domination on the LPGA Tour.

With American players winless in the first 10 tournaments this year, Jones and Barrett shot 4-under-par 66s Thursday to share the lead with Sweden's Carin Koch in the Kathy Ireland Championship.

''I'm kind of sick of the talk, being a proud American,'' said Barrett, who had five birdies in her opening round.

And right behind the leaders was a pack of international players aiming to make it 11 in a row.

England's Johanna Head, who flew to Texas on Sunday to play in her first LPGA tournament this year, and unheralded American Lisa DePaulo, who qualified for the tournament just last month, joined three others at 67.

Simpson making comeback at Forest Oaks

GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) -- A lot has changed since Scott Simpson won 14 years ago at Forest Oaks Country Club.

His jet black hair has turned gray, he's shaved his trademark mustache, he's put on a few pounds and the Greater Greensboro Chrysler Classic now has a $3.5 million purse.

The 45-year-old Simpson is also attempting an unlikely comeback on the PGA Tour with seven screws and a plate in his right ankle following a December 1999 skiing accident in Utah.

Simpson shot a 6-under-par 66 Thursday in one of his best rounds since picking his clubs back up and grabbed a one-stroke lead over seven golfers after the first round.

Aaron Baddeley, a 20-year-old rising star from Australia, Jerry Kelly, Dudley Hart, Robert Damron, Shaun Micheel, Spike McRoy and sectional qualifier Jeffrey Lankford were in the group at 67.

Kansas AD Frederick resigns

LAWRENCE, Kan. -- Kansas athletic director Bob Frederick, who hired basketball coach Roy Williams and then kept him from leaving for North Carolina last season, resigned on Thursday.

Frederick said he was leaving after 14 years as the Jayhawks' AD because the job has ''gotten a lot harder in the last few years.'' The 61-year-old Frederick was also under fire after his decision in January to drop men's tennis and swimming.

''Sports-talk shows, the Internet, chat rooms -- all those things have made it more difficult for head coaches and ADs and even for chancellors,'' Frederick said at a news conference. ''I'm looking forward to being out on the farm and spending more time with my family.''

New heavyweight champ thrown from motorcade

BALTIMORE -- This was one knockout Hasim Rahman never expected. Four days after he knocked out Lennox Lewis with a right hook, Rahman and his family were thrown from an open convertible in a motorcade accident after a city-sponsored celebration for the new heavyweight champion.

None of the injuries were serious, a hospital spokesman said.

''Everybody's OK,'' Rahman said, adding that he was ''ready to talk about the next fight.''

The boxer, his wife and two of their three children were sitting on the back of a red convertible when it was struck by another car. The convertible then hit a taxi, ejecting the Rahmans.

Rahman received minor cuts on his elbows. His wife, Crystal, was cut and bruised and was fitted for a neck brace before being taken from the scene by ambulance.

The mishap occurred after Rahman, 28, was honored for winning the IBF and WBC titles Saturday night in South Africa with a surprise fifth-round knockout of Lewis.

Police were escorting Rahman toward the Inner Harbor when an officer in a cruiser tried to stop traffic, police commissioner Edward Norris said. As the officer stepped out of his car, a Volkswagen came through the intersection and hit the convertible, causing it to collide with a taxi.

Mayor Martin O'Malley said the convertible was being driven by someone on his staff.

The Volkswagen driver had a green light when the accident occurred, but a police officer had driven into the intersection to stop traffic, police spokesman Kevin Enright said Thursday.

''All of a sudden, a red car comes flying through at an amazing speed,'' the Volkswagen's driver, Mike Heisler, told WBAL-AM. ''I tried to hit my brakes and I almost made it through without me hitting him, but I hit the back tail and he spun around and that's when he hit the taxi cab. That's when everybody flew out.''

The children were taken to The Johns Hopkins Children's Center and Crystal Rahman to The Johns Hopkins Hospital.

A Hopkins spokeswoman said Rahman and his family were not seriously injured. Crystal Rahman was being kept overnight for observation.

Rahman, who grew up in the poor eastern section of the city and now lives in a Baltimore suburb, was honored as a hometown hero by Mayor Martin O'Malley.

''It was a great rally, a great day for the city and none of us wanted to see this happen, but this is a happy ending,'' the mayor said.

Rahman, still recovering from a head butt he received from Lewis, probably figured he was safe from further harm in a motorcade with a police escort. But the last time Baltimore staged a sports-related motorcade, a police car was struck by a bus carrying the Baltimore Ravens before the team left for the Super Bowl in January.

''I don't feel like it was anything intentional. Accidents don't happen on purpose,'' Rahman said after leaving the hospital.

The revelry for Rahman began at the dingy gym where he first learned how to box when he was 20. Hundreds of neighborhood residents gathered to catch a glimpse of Baltimore's first heavyweight champ.

At City Hall, O'Malley gave the champ a key to the city before reading a proclamation making it ''Hasim 'Rock' Rahman Day'' in Baltimore.

That ceremony took place in a makeshift boxing ring.

''With a tremendous right cross to the jaw, he showed that Baltimore still has the ability to knock the stuffing out of the British,'' O'Malley said.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us