Fire damages 18 Anchorage apartments

Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2001

ANCHORAGE (AP) -- A fire Friday tore through 18 apartments in South Anchorage, displacing 42 residents and causing damage estimated at $400,000.

No residents were injured in the blaze, but a firefighter suffered a broken nose. At least 12 people were home at 2:50 p.m. when the fire broke out. Seven of those residents were asleep at the time and were awakened by neighbors frantically trying to get everyone out of the building.

The 36-unit building is divided by a fire wall in the center, so firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the eastern 18 units.

The cause of the fire was apparently a carelessly discarded cigarette, according to Cleo Hill of the Anchorage Fire Department.

Residents of the building were offered temporary lodging in other apartments owned by Joe Brotherton of Seattle, owner of the complex that burned. But many of them lost all of their belongings in the blaze.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us