Fire that damaged 18 apartments caused by a cigarette

Posted: Monday, April 30, 2001

ANCHORAGE (AP) -- A fire that tore through 18 apartments in south Anchorage, displacing 42 residents and causing an estimated $400,000 in damage, was caused by a cigarette.

No residents were injured in Friday's blaze, but a firefighter suffered a broken nose.

The fire was caused by a cigarette that had been snuffed out in a planter on a second floor balcony, said Cleo Hill, a spokeswoman with the Anchorage Fire Department. The tenants confirmed they were smoking on Friday and put out their cigarettes in the planter.

The 36-unit building is divided by a fire wall in the center, so firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the eastern 18 units.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS