There are many ways parents can help their children succeed in reading and writing:
Choose a reading selection together. Ask your child to summarize or make up your own multiple choice test about the content of the reading selection.
Review the Alaska High School Graduation Qualifying Exam (HSGQE) online practice tests in reading and writing together. Find out where your child needs extra help.
Take your children to the library regularly to check out books and do research.
Volunteer in your child's classroom to become more familiar with current practices in reading and writing.
Establish e-mail correspondence with your family outside the local area and let your children be the family correspondents updating relatives on a weekly basis.
* Create a family web page on the Internet.
* Involve your family in writing about its ancestry.
* Learn the Six Trait Analytic rubric that is used to score your child's writing at school.
* Read and respond to your student's writing at home. Help them with their content, meaning, and editing.
* Listen to a book on tape together and discuss the story each night.
Brought to you by the Language Arts Teachers of the Kenai Peninsula Borough School District
© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us