· The Triumvirate Theater will present the comedy, “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, Abridged,” at 7 p.m. today through Saturday and May 18-20 at the theater in the Peninsula Center Mall in Soldotna. Tickets are $10 and available at the Triumvirate Bookstore.
· The Kenai Shorebird Festival will take place Saturday at various locations throughout the central peninsula. There will be workshops on photography and bird identification at 1:15 p.m. at the Challenger Learning Center Alaska in Kenai, followed by bird-watching trips to the Kenai flats and a potluck style dinner. The events are free and open to the public. For more information or to R.S.V.P., call Josselyn at 260-5449.
Events and Exhibits
· The Performing Arts Society will present its annual jazz cabaret at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Kenai Merit Inn. This year’s music will be provided by the John Damberg Quartet of Anchorage, and Latin hors d’oeuvres will be served. Tickets are $35 and available at Charlotte’s, Already Read Books and the Kenai Merit Inn in Kenai and River City Books, Northcountry Fair and Sweeney’s Clothing in Soldotna. See related story.
· Sterling Elementary School is having a community contra dance and dessert auction from 7 to 10 p.m. Saturday. The admission for adults is $5 and free for kids under 16. For more information, call 262-4944.
· Kaladi Brothers Coffee in Soldotna has art from Libby Berezin through May.
· Winners of the Arctic Winter Games “Release the Spirit Within” quilt art challenge are on display at the Challenger Learning Center of Alaska and the Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center in Kenai and the Aspen Hotel, Robin Place Fabrics, Hutchings Chevrolet, the Soldotna Chamber of Commerce, Kaladi Brothers Coffee, Mykel’s Restaurant, Wells Fargo Bank and Raven’s Roost in Soldotna.
· The Kasilof Historical Society’s cabin museum is open from 1 to 4 p.m. Wednesdays through Sundays. It has historical displays and area artists and crafters are invited to display their work at the cabin on weekends. The cabin is at Mile .5 of Kalifornsky Beach Road. For more information, call 262-0822.
· The Kenai National Wildlife Refuge Information Center is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and weekends from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The center is on Ski Hill Road in Soldotna and has educational displays and occasional interpretive programs. For more information, call 262-7021.
· The Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center at 11471 Kenai Spur Highway has “The Kenai Experience,” which features art in many mediums, on display through August. It also has animal mounts, historic items and Alaska Native artifacts. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays. The center will be open Sunday for Mother’s Day from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information, call 283-1991.
· The Soldotna Animal Hospital at 42479 Sterling Highway has original paintings, prints and photos from botany and wildlife artist Dominique Collet on display through May.
· Veronica’s Cafe in Kenai has an open mic at 6:30 p.m. today, the Bob Ramponi Jazz trio at 6:30 p.m. Friday, David Edward-Smith at 6:30 p.m. Saturday and a folk jam on the deck at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.
· Hooligan’s in Soldotna has an open jam session at 10 p.m. Thursdays and live music from 9spine at 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Dan Sullivan at 8 p.m. Sundays, The Free Beer Band at 10 p.m. Mondays, 150 Grit at 10 p.m. Tuesdays and karaoke at 10 p.m. Wednesdays.
· Mykel’s Restaurant in Soldotna has Dave Unruh at 6:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
· The Rainbow Bar in Kenai has the Mabrey Brothers from 10:30 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and a poker challenge at 6:30 p.m. Mondays.
· The Riverside House in Soldotna has “After 10,” a dance party, Friday and Saturday nights. A DJ plays favorite Top 40 dance music.
· The Place Bar and Grill in North Kenai has karaoke at 9 p.m. Saturdays and poker at 7:30 p.m. Sundays and Mondays.
· Kaladi Brothers in Soldotna has Mike Morgan and Friends at 6:30 p.m. Saturday.
· AmVets Post No. 4 in the Red Diamond Center on Kalifornsky Beach Road has karaoke at 8 p.m. Saturdays and blind darts at 2:30 p.m. Sundays.
· George’s Casino a poker challenge at 7:30 p.m. Saturdays and Wednesdays.
· The Maverick Saloon in Soldotna has karaoke at 9 p.m. Mondays.
· The Duck Inn has karaoke at 9 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays.
· Call Orca Theaters at 262-7003 for weekly listings and show times.
· Call Kambe Cinemas at 283-4554 for weekly listings and show times.
Down the Road
· Friends of the Homer Library will hold a fundraising dinner and auction Saturday at the Homestead Restaurant. The evening’s theme is the Pacific Rim and Ring of Fire and will feature representative dancing. For more information, e-mail Mary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· The Homer Council on the Arts gallery has “Winged Arts,” a multimedia show, on display through May.
· The Kachemak Kayak Fest will take place May 26 through 28 at various locations in Homer. Events include beginning to advanced on-the-water instruction in paddling technique, rescue, safety and wildlife viewing, evening talks, slide shows and equipment demonstrations. For more information, visit www.kachemakkayakfest.com or call (907) 235-7740.
· Pier One Theatre has “An Evening of Marionette Theatre: Don Giovanni, Petrushka and Pagliacci,” at 8:15 p.m. May 27, 7:30 p.m. May 28 and 3:30 p.m. May 29. For more information, call (907) 235-7333.
· Land’s End Resort will host the annual “Mad Hatters” tea party June 3. Hat makeover entries need to be turned in to the Homer Council on the Arts by May 26. Tickets for the event are $10 for council members and $15 for general admission.
· The Anchorage Museum of History and Art has on display “From Canvas to Steel,” an exhibit about Ed Crittenden and the architecture of Anchorage through Sunday; “Twice Told Tales,” a solo exhibition by painter Daniel Deroux through Sunday; and “Spot the Dog,” the annual children’s gallery exhibit, through May. Hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays, and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays.
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us