Man killed in Ketchikan house fire

Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002

KETCHIKAN (AP) -- A 23-year-old man died early Thursday in a house fire.

Aaron W. Boyd likely died of smoke inhalation in addition to burns, said Ketchikan Fire Chief Rich Leipfert. Firefighters found Boyd dead in his bedroom.

The fire started at about 2:30 a.m. in Boyd's apartment, the downstairs part of a two-story house built sometime between 1915 and 1920.

The fire probably started when items too close to a propane heater caught fire, Leipfert said.

Another man who was staying as a guest in the same apartment escaped through a window. He had some cuts from the glass, burns on his feet and smoke inhalation, the fire chief said. A woman who rented the upstairs apartment escaped without injury.

Leipfert said the house had functioning smoke detectors.

Boyd, who was not originally from Ketchikan, has family in Idaho, according to Ketchikan police.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS