$60 million Alpine expansion planned

Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2003

ANCHORAGE (AP) Oil processing capacity at the Alpine field on the North Slope will be increased by 5,000 barrels a day after a $60 million project planned by the field's owners.

The expansion was announced Friday by ConocoPhillips and Anadarko Petroleum Corp.

The work will be completed late next year. It will increase water and gas handling capacities. Both are important for increasing Alpine oil production and maintaining reservoir pressure, the companies say.

Alpine has been a pleasant surprise for its owners, who originally expected production to run about 80,000 barrels a day. But the field, which started producing in November 2000, is now producing about 100,000 barrels each day.

In addition, the Alpine processing facility is expected to handle oil for five small satellite fields, some of them in the nearby National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska.

For Alpine itself, 68 wells 34 production and 34 injection of the planned 94 wells have been completed.

NANA/Colt Engineering LLC in Anchorage is performing the design engineering for the project. Fabrication for the truckable modules will be put out for bid once detailed engineering is complete, the companies say.

The Alpine deposit, expected to yield 429 million barrels over 20 years of production, was discovered in 1996. It's 34 miles west of the Kuparuk River field, near the NPR-A border and the village of Nuiqsut.

ConocoPhillips has 78 percent ownership and Anadarko the remaining 22 percent.

CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS