Two people receive treatment for suspected shellfish poisoning

Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2001

JUNEAU (AP) -- Two people who collected clams near Juneau have been treated for suspected paralytic shellfish poisoning, state officials said Friday.

The two people that became ill were collecting clams from the Iyoukeen Peninsula on Chichagof Island near Tenakee Springs. It's not known what kind of clams they collected.

Samples of the clams were being flown to the Department of Environmental Conservation's Seafood and Food Safety Lab for testing. Results were expected over the weekend.

Paralytic shellfish poisoning can be fatal. It is caused by poisons that concentrate in clams, mussels, geoducks, oysters, snails and scallops. Symptoms include a tingling sensation or burning of the lips and mouth, and occur within minutes to two hours after eating the clams.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


Peninsula Clarion © 2016. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us