YONKERS, N.Y. (AP) -- After an 11-year building campaign, St. Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary dedicated a new library in May to house its 120,000 documents and artifacts on Eastern Christianity.
The Orthodox collection is considered among the richest in North and South America.
Among its rarities are the Ostrog Bible of 1581, the first printed book in Slavic; the Gospel of Matthew translated into Alaska's Aleut language in 1840; and 19th century Russian theological journals.
Founded in 1938, St. Vladimir's counts 30 bishops and more than 700 priests among its alumni. Its press is the largest publisher of Orthodox books in English.
Peninsula Clarion ©2015. All Rights Reserved.