A workshop was destroyed by fire Sunday night, Central Emergency Services reported Monday.
At 11:10 p.m. Sunday, homeowners on Ross Road near Mile 78 of the Sterling Highway called 911 to report the shop next to their house was on fire. CES reportedly arrived to find the building fully engulfed in flame.
Owner Kevin Lyon later explained he had been working on an old one-cylinder motor when it backfired, igniting the gasoline fuel. The fire quickly spread to the shop's Styrofoam ceiling.
Firefighters had the fire under control within 20 minutes and declared it officially "out" about an hour later.
The shop, a 24-by-42-foot building constructed about 25 years ago, was made of rough-milled 2-by-10-inch planks for open ceilings, which contained 4-inch Styrofoam insulation. The interior walls also consisted of Styrofoam insulation covered with wood panels. Outside, the building was wooden log slabs with a metal sheeting on the roof.
The shop was about 35 feet from the main residence next to a 500-gallon fuel tank. Firefighters sprayed foam in the entire area to prevent the fire from re-igniting.
The shop and its contents, valued at approximately $50,000, were completely destroyed.
Peninsula Clarion © 2016. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us