ANCHORAGE (AP) -- Human remains taken from Shemya Island during World War II were returned to the Aleut Corp. by the Air Force last month and reburied.
The remains were repatriated under the Native Graves Protection and Repatriation Act.
The remains and associated objects were removed during construction of a runway in 1943. C.B. Kimbrough, a contract engineer for the Baker Engineering Co., removed the remains and donated them to the W.H. Over Museum of Vermilion, S.D. a year later.
The repatriation act requires museums to inventory human remains and other items that might be authorized for repatriation to Native American groups.
The Aleut Corp. claimed the remains and items from the Over Museum and funeral objects that included stone, bone and antler points, a wedge, harpoon pieces, an awl and a needle.
Since the remains were recovered from an Air Force facility, the military branch handled the return.
The remains were the first repatriated to the corporation.
Peninsula Clarion © 2016. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us