Woman charged with DUI again

Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004

A woman convicted of killing a Soldotna woman in a drunk-driving crash 10 years ago has been picked up again on drunk driving charges.

Pamela L. Doshier, 51, of Anchorage, is in Fairbanks Correctional Center awaiting trial on new charges following a May 28 arrest by Alaska State Troopers at Mile 224 of the Richardson Highway near Delta Junction. Her trial is set to begin the week of July 19 in Delta Junction.

In July 1994, Doshier rear-ended a car driven by Patsy J. Gibson in front of the SS & T Tesoro gas station on the Sterling Highway just outside Soldotna. The business across from Big John's Tesoro now sells household appliances.

Patsy and her husband, Sam Gibson, were stopped in their Oldsmobile sedan, with their turn signal on, waiting to turn left into the gas station they owned at the time.

Doshier, also driving east on the highway behind the Gibsons, struck the back of their car at about 50 mph according to court records.

Doshier did not apply her brakes and even though there was room to do so, did not attempt to drive around the Gibsons' vehicle.

The impact pushed Gibson's Oldsmobile sedan sideways into oncoming traffic where it was hit by a pickup truck traveling west.

Patsy Gibson was killed; her husband survived with only minor injuries.

At the time of the crash, Doshier had a revoked driver's license, and an open bottle of vodka was found in her pickup. According to prosecutors, Doshier's blood alcohol level was .353, which at the time was more then three times the legal limit.

A driving while intoxicated charge was pending against her at the time.

She initially was charged with second-degree murder and first-degree assault, but later pleaded "no contest" to reduced charges of manslaughter and second-degree assault.

Kenai Superior Court Judge Charles K. Cranston sentenced Doshier to 18 years in prison with six years suspended for manslaughter followed by a consecutive sentence of two years for the assault.

The judge cited Doshier's history of alcohol-related driving offenses and her inability to successfully complete an alcohol treatment program at Central Peninsula General Hospital as reasons for the severity of the punishment.

Cranston declared he did not think Doshier had good pro-spects for rehabilitation, and he believed community condemnation of her conduct was the most important sentencing goal.

The composite sentence was 20 years imprisonment with six years suspended 14 years to serve. The state Court of Appeals, however, ordered the sentence reduced to 20 years with 12 years to serve.

After completing two-thirds of her sentence, Doshier was released from prison on parole in 2002.

Last month, several motorists on the Richardson Highway reportedly saw Doshier driving all over the road and through the ditch and stopped her at the side of the road, according to a trooper report.

One motorist took Doshier's keys out of the ignition and summoned troopers.

Doshier was arrested for driving under the influence, for refusing to take a chemical test and for a parole violation and was taken to jail.

"The day she killed my mom, she had been in court for her fourth DUI arrest," said Karen Galbraith, Gibson's daughter, who lives in Soldotna.

"She was sent home to get a third-party (custodian), and she hit my mom on the way home.

"Doshier needs to stay behind bars this time for a very long time so she cannot devastate any more families, and so that our streets will be safe from her," Galbraith said.

"My mom was the center of our family. She was the core."

Galbraith said the whole family always gathered at her mother's house for the major holidays.

"She was the love of dad's life, too," Galbraith said.

"They were together 40 years, from when she was 17.

"They got up together every morning. They went to work together at the two businesses they had. They were always doing things together," she said.

For the first few years after the fatal crash, Sam Gibson didn't do much of anything, according to Galbraith.

Eventually he began going out and four years ago, he remarried.

Galbraith said she believes Doshier has never taken responsibility for her actions, though during her trial, she once turned halfway toward the family seated in the courtroom and said she was sorry.

"I think she needs to go back to prison at least finish her term she was originally sentenced to," said Galbraith.

"At least she'll be locked up and won't be able to kill anyone else."

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us