Anchorage man dies in fire

Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2001

ANCHORAGE (AP) -- An Anchorage man died early Friday from smoke inhalation after his apartment caught fire.

Fire officials identified the victim as Jeffrey Maciariello, 50.

Firefighters responded to the Taiga Twins apartment building in East Anchorage at about 3:30 a.m. and found smoke and flames coming from the bedroom of Maciariello's apartment. He was found on his bedroom floor.

Paramedics tried without success to resuscitate him. An autopsy determined he died of smoke inhalation.

Fire department spokesman Tom Kempton said Maciariello lived alone and no one else was in the apartment at the time the fire broke out.

Kempton said the fire, determined to have been caused by careless smoking, was contained to the bedroom and extinguished in minutes.

The 60-unit building's fire alarm system went off and all other residents were safely evacuated. No other units were damaged. Kempton estimated damage to the one unit at about $10,000.

Teresa Graves of Anchorage said her brother was a paraplegic and unable to move under his own power.

''Once the fire started it wasn't like he could just run out of his bedroom,'' she said.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS