The weather has shifted, and after a gorgeous weekend, we've been hit with a bit of rain. The golf course is soaking it up but it hasn't deterred golfers from coming out to play.
* Thursday marks the 10th Annual Birch Ridge Golf Association Junior Golf Tournament. If you have the time, come out and watch -- these junior golfers are amazing. There will be three separate divisions -- 8- to 9-year-olds, 10- to 12-year-olds and 13- to 17-year-olds. Check in at 8 a.m. with the first tee off at 8:30 a.m.
* The June Scramble last weekend saw some terrific golf with the returning champions successfully defending their title. In Division I, Brandon Kaiser, Justin Hermann, Beau Forrest and Steve Dexheimer controlled each hole. Shooting a 15-under-par 55, the team was three shots in front of the second-place team of Bob Sizemore, Doug Jung, Chris Murray and Truckee Lemay.
Division II was won by Steve Horn, Margaret Stanley, Jeff Hetrick and Lisa Parker carding a 64. In second place, four strokes back, was Amanda Weaver, David Sanders, Stacey Foster and Ben Van Zant.
Jennifer Cowan crushed her drive, as did Mike Edwards, to capture the long-drive competition on the fourth hole. Jennifer's tee shot was at the top of the hill while Mike put his drive halfway down the hill. Nice drives.
Putting his tee shot 5 feet, 2 inches, from the hole on Nos. 6/15 was Murphy (Curtis) Smith. Scott Kempf nuzzled his ball within 23.25 inches on Nos. 8/17. Complete results from the June Scramble are at the end of this week's report.
* Senior League had another remarkable day on the golf course. Twenty showed up to play on another great weather day. Darell Jelsma and Don McGhee tied for low net at 31. Darell also put it close on the eighth hole, within 15 feet, 4 inches. Jerry Herring snuck his in close on the sixth hole at 9 feet, and Gary Tanghe had the long putt of the day on the ninth hole with a putt of 11 feet, 8 inches.
* Tuesday Morning Ladies League did not have such great weather but fifteen ladies showed up to play bingo-bango-bongo, in addition to a host of other games. Leona Jackson stole the show winning bingo-bango-bongo, first-place low team net along with a birdie and chip-in.
Joining Leona on the first-place low team net were Cheryl Hammarstrom and Jana Query. The team of Diane Mersch, Beth Roseberry, Pat Schmidt and Myrna Cowan secured second-place low team net. Kathy Herring had a beautiful tee shot on the fifth hole to win closest-to honors.
* Tuesday Couples Night played a two-person Chapman last week. After each of the 13 couples hit their tee shots, for the second shot the woman would hit the man's tee shot and the man the ladies tee shot. Selecting the best ball, teams then hit alternate shots to the hole.
The Jelsmas (Susan and Darell) captured first place, followed by Kathy and Jerry Herring in second, Lore Weimer and Don McGhee in third and Sue Stein, along with Gary Dawkins, rounding out the top four. A big thanks to Teri and Gene Diamond for organizing our Tuesday Couples Night!
* A very special thank you also goes to Linda Murphy, who worked with the golf course pros (Tom Walsh and Bill Engberg) at last week's Junior Golf Clinic. Linda helped with check-in, snacks and pitched in wherever help was needed. Also thanks to Aaron Dexheimer for his help with the junior golfers. As a touring pro, Aaron was able to provide the junior golfers with some real life stories about life on the circuit.
* Erin's Tip of the Week, compliments of Erin Bell, PGA Assistant Pro, Big Spring Golf Course -- Downhill Lies: "An athlete gains so much knowledge by just participating in a sport. Focus, discipline, hard work, goal setting and of course, the thrill of finally achieving your goals. These are all lessons in life." -- Kristi Yamaguchi
* Take one less club than you would normally select from that distance.
* Place the ball in the back of your stance after taking a practice swing to find the "bottom" of your swing.
* Set up your shoulders to "match" the hillside.
* Swing with a steady motion and good balance -- make sure not to "get ahead" of your shot.
This week's events (check in at least 15 minutes prior to the time shown below): Monday, 9 a.m., Senior League; Tuesday, 10 a.m., Tuesday Morning Ladies League; Tuesday, 6 p.m., Couples Night; Wednesday, 6 p.m., Men's Night; Thursday, 6 p.m., Ladies Night.
Upcoming Events: today, 10th Annual Birch Ridge Golf Association Junior Golf Tournament (Ages 8 to 17); June 27, Pink Ribbon Rally for Breast Cancer; July 12, Pro-Am Tournament with All Alaskan Pros; July 12, BRGA All Alaskan Pro Skins Game; July 16-17, 27th Annual Peninsula Seniors Championship; July 24, Seward Seahawks Athletic Booster Club Tournament; July 31-August 1, 38th Annual Peninsula Amateur Tournament.
Birch Ridge Golf Course can be reached by calling 262-5270 or visit the website at www.birchridgegolf.com.
Official Results - June Scramble
Steve Dexheimer/Brandon Kaiser/Justin Hermann/Beau Forrest - 55
Bob Sizemore/Doug Jung/Chris Murray/Truckee Lemay - 58
Nolan Rose/Jim McWilliams/Rusty Weaver/Tanna Chenault - 59
Pat Cowan/Jennifer Cowan/Tim Cowan/Curtis Smith - 61
Darell Jelsma/Jay Kriner/Charlie Weimer/Mike Edwards - 62
Rudy Zabkowski/Eddie Sibolboro/Nan Weaver/Lorne Smagge - 62
Steve Horn/Margaret Stanley/Jeff Hetrick/Lisa Parker - 64
Amanda Weaver/David Sanders/Stacey Foster/Ben Van Zant - 68
Dave Stein/Sue Stein/George Stein/Chuck Obendorf - 71
Tanya Boedeker/Tim Bowser/Carol Hussey/Scott Kempf - 71
Mick Reeve/Dee Richards/Ray Hamby/Don McGhee - 72
Peninsula Clarion ©2013. All Rights Reserved.