The Kenai National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center activities for June are:
* Wildlife movies shown daily: at noon, 2 and 4 p.m., "Kenai National Wildlife Refuge: Where Wildlife Comes First" (10 minutes), about the refuge's wildlife story and its recreational opportunities; 1 p.m., "Alone in the Wilderness" (55 minutes), the life story of Dick Proenneke, who fell in love with the Twin Lakes country in the 1970s, built a log cabin solo and lived a wilderness lifestyle for more than 20 years; and at 3 p.m., "Denali: The Living Eden" (55 minutes), the cycle of the seasons in the lives of moose, caribou, brown bears and wolves in the national park.
Other refuge events are:
* Wildflowers Fun Day from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. today. A free family event at the Visitor and Environmental Education centers with wildflower inspired displays, games, crafts and snacks. Guided half-mile wildflower identification walks occur throughout the day. To preregister for walks, call Michelle Ostrowski at 260-2839.
* Guided fitness walk at 2 p.m. Thursday starting at the Kenai visitor center on the Keen Eye and Centennial Trails. Walk lasts 1 1/2 hours. Preregister by calling, Michelle Ostrowski at 260-2839.
* Hidden Lake Campground programs (one hour drive east of Soldotna): Discovery Hike of Burney's Trail at 1 p.m. June 28. Ranger Jetta Minerva will discuss discovering nature and wildlife by using your senses. The hike will cover 1.2 miles round trip and climbs 200 feet from spruce forest to an overlook above Hidden Lake. Participants are asked to wear comfortable shoes and bring water. Dogs are not allowed on the hike.
Hidden Lake Campground is 3.6 miles from the east end of Skilak Lake Road. Burney's Trail is across from Skyview Loop site No. 7. Park in the boat trailer parking and walk to the trail head. Preregister with Jetta at 260-2811.
* Campfire programs are held at the Hidden Lake Amphitheatre at 8 p.m. Friday, Saturday and June 27 and 28. The topic will be insights about Alaska wildlife.
Peninsula Clarion ©2013. All Rights Reserved.