Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby leaders
The following are the June leaders in the Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby as of Monday. The derby continues through Sept. 30. For more information, contact the Homer Chamber of Commerce, (907) 235-7740.
· First ($1,000 prize) and current derby leader: 296.2 pounds, caught June 16 by David Brand of Eagle River with Capt. Mike’s Charters on the Wildcat with Capt. Dan Storrs.
· Second ($750): 256 pounds, caught June 12 by Pat Sweeney of Savage, Minn., with Falcon Charters on the Falcon with Capt. Tony Arsenault.
· Third ($500): 225 pounds, caught June 6 by Mark Leseberg of Boulder City, Nev., with Magic Waters Charters on the Sorceress with Capt. Peter Karwowski.
· Fourth ($250): 207.4 pounds, caught June 2 by Joseph Crowling of Oakton, Va., with Emerald Pines Charter on the Cruiser VI with Capt. Steve Novakovich.
· Fifth ($125): 175 pounds, caught June 11 by Shane Cook of Harrison, Idaho, with Aurora Sportfishing on the Northern Lights with Capt. Mark Millspaugh.
· Lady angler leader: 162.6 pounds, caught May 21 by Sandra McPike of Delaware, Ohio, with Capt. Scott’s Sportfishing on the Mako with Capt. Scott Glosser.
· Tagged fish: A $500 tagged fish was caught June 18 by Josh Somers of Eagan, Minn., on the Ocean Hunter with Capt. Keith Kalke. The sponsor was Tech Connect.
Remote cabin sites available to buy
The Alaska Department of Natural Resources is holding a remote recreational cabin site lottery. The land sale program allows Alaska residents to stake a parcel of state land in a designated remote staking area, lease the land until a survey and appraisal are completed, then purchase the land at market value.
The land is often not readily accessible, requiring plane, boat, all-terrain vehicles or hiking to access. There are 233 staking authorizations in six staking areas available, with Dillinger River, Kogrukluk River and Nowitna River sites located in the Southcentral region.
Stakes are awarded by lottery. Submit an application and $25 fee to enter the lottery. Applicants must have been Alaska residents for at least one year and applications must be received by 5 p.m. July 7.
For more information, pick up a brochure at a DNA office or view it online at www.dnr.state.ak.us/mlw/landsale. The brochure can be mailed for $1.50 postage and handling. Or call (907) 269-8400.
Information for Outdoor Briefs can be submitted by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, fax at 283-3299, mail at P.O. Box 3009, Kenai, AK 99611 or dropped off at the Clarion’s office on Trading Bay in Kenai. The Outdoors section prints every Friday in the Clarion.
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us