Monday was the summer solstice and what a fantastic day. The golf course was busy all day and late into the night. Rumor has it the last golfer came off the course just before midnight.
* This past week there have been a lot of junior golfers out playing and competing. Last Thursday, the Birch Ridge Golf Association hosted the Birch Ridge Junior Golf Tournament. The Alaska Junior Golf Association hosted a two-day tournament with day one being played at Birch Ridge Golf Course. It would be nice to see some of these junior golfers turn out for the Peninsula Amateur Golf Tournament in late July.
* Next time you see them, offer a big congratulations all 18 of the junior golfers who competed in the Birch Ridge Junior Golf Tournament. A complete list and scores for those who competed can be found at the end of this column. First place in each of the four divisions went to Hannah Pothast (Girls 9-10), Alex Montague (Boys 8-9), John Mark Pothast (Boys 10-12) and Joshua Kerkvliet (Boys 13-17). Great to see all of you out on the course.
* Alaska Junior Golf Association had 15 golfers competing in five divisions on Monday. Division winners included Siena Avery (Girls 10-12), Jay Smith (Boys 9), Jack Newell (Boys 10-12), Jake Eubank (Boys 13-14) and Eddie Lewis (Boys 15-17).
* Senior League had 20 players on the first day of summer and it was another warm morning. Sid Cox led the way with a net 32, Jerry Herring took closest to on No. 6, again, at 10 feet, 4 inches, George Collum bested everyone on No. 8 at 15 feet, 5 inches and Don McGhee had the long putt on No. 9 at 42 feet.
* Tuesday Morning Ladies League also had great weather and a terrific turnout. Twenty ladies turned out to play their own game with the team prizes determined by the best scores from a few "chosen" holes. In the end, Linda Murphy, Denise Cox, Dee Richards and Val Ischi captured first place with Tanya Boedeker, Leona Jackson, Shirley Johnsrud and Cheryl Hammarstrom taking second. Myrna Cowan had the lowest number of putts for the round with 15 and Cheryl Hammarstrom took closest to the pin on No. 8.
* Tuesday Couples Night did not have the best of weather but eight couples ventured out in the rain to play a colored scramble. On each tee box the players would tee off from the same colored tee marker. It went white-blue-pink-blue-pink-white-red-red-pink. Sally and Steve Tachick played the colors just right taking home first place once again while Margaret Stanley partnered with Don McGhee to take second and Val Ischi along with Gary Dawkins held on to third.
* Erin's Tip of the Week: compliments of Erin Bell, PGA Assistant Pro, Big Spring Golf Course.
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn."
-- Harriet Beecher Stowe
* Ball Above Your Feet:
* The ball will tend to go to the left -- aim farther to the right to compensate
* Stand taller with your weight concentrated on your toes
* Choke down on the club -- your swing will be shorter than usual
* Take a practice swing to find the "bottom" of your swing
* This Week's Events (Check in at least 15 minutes prior to the time shown below): Monday's -- Senior League, 9 a.m.; Tuesday's -- Tuesday Morning Ladies League, 10 a.m.; Tuesday's -- Couple's Night, 6 p.m.; Wednesday's -- Men's Night, 6 p.m.; Thursday's -- Ladies Night, 6 p.m.
* Upcoming Events: Sunday -- Pink Ribbon Rally for Breast Cancer; Monday, July 12 -- Pro-Am Tournament with All Alaskan Pro's; Monday, July 12 -- BRGA All Alaskan Pro Skins Game; Friday, July 16 -- 27th Annual Peninsula Seniors Championship, Day 1; Saturday, July 17 -- 27th Annual Peninsula Seniors Championship, Day 2; Saturday, July 24 -- Seward Seahawks Athletic Booster Club Tournament; Saturday, July 31 -- 38th Annual Peninsula Amateur Tournament, Day 1; Sunday, August 1 -- 38th Annual Peninsula Amateur Tournament, Day 2; Saturday, August 7 -- Phil Turkington Classic -- Soldotna Elks Golf Tournament
Birch Ridge Golf Course can be reached by calling 262-5270 or visit the web site at www.birchridgegolf.com.
2010 Birch Ridge Junior Golf Tournament
Hannah Pothast - 39
Vanessa Uei - 49
Madi Whittenberg - 53
Robin Johnson - 62
Alex Montague - 51
Alex Zimmerman - 55
John Mark Pothast - 50
Kalvin Kooly - 51
Jacob Kilfoyle - 59
Austen Eriksson - 70
Joshua Kerkvliet - 41
Jake Eubank - 46
Tyler Yamada - 49
River Calloway - 52
Bryan Dombovy - 60
Callum Toohey - 61
Tyler Varner - 62
Shayne Hensley - 71
Alaska Junior Golf Association Golf Tournament
Siena Avery - 56
Isabella Pope - 70
Jay Smith - 49
Seth Macho - 55
Nicholas Pope - 66
Jake Newell - 50
Colin Hoss - 51
Harry Weigle - 53
Trayton Bird - 54
Jake Eubank - 95
Jared Cruz - 103
Tyler Yamada - 113
Eddie Lewis - 84
Josh Kerkvliet - 95
Ryan Johnson - 120
Peninsula Clarion ©2014. All Rights Reserved.