· Kenai Landing dinner theater will have touring musician and Wasilla native Matt Hopper, with the Tim Sturm Band opening, at 8 p.m. Friday. Tickets are $10 at the door. For more information on the artist, visit www.matt hopper.com or www.hatcherpassrecords.com. See story, this page.
· Our Lady of the Angels Church in Kenai has soprano Elena Bird, accompanied by pianist Maria Allison with guest baritone Spencer McAuliffe at 7 p.m. Sunday. The program will include works by Purcell, Handel, Mozart, Donizetti, and Previn. Allison also will play a piano solo by Debussy. The recital is free and open to the public.
Events and Exhibits
· Christ Lutheran Church in Soldotna has clarinetist Becky Kilfoyle, at 7 p.m. Friday. Kilfoyle, a recent high school graduate, will be accompanied by pianist Maria Allison. Kilfoyle will perform a variety of clarinet solos, and a duet with her teacher, Tammy Vollom-Matturro. The recital and reception that will follow are free and open to the public.
· “Fish On,” an informational comedy show about fishing on the Kenai Peninsula, runs at 1, 3 and 6 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday at the Triumvirate Theatre in the Peninsula Center Mall in Soldotna. Tickets are $10 for general admission and $7 for seniors. For more information, call 953-7262.
· Frames and Things in Soldotna has the work of Sharon Freeman through Friday. The gallery, in the Blazy Mall in Soldotna, is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
· The Triumvirate Bookstore and Gallery in the Peninsula Center Mall has the work of painter Tatiana Butler through Friday. The gallery is open from 12 to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. For more information, call 953-7262.
· Kaladi Brothers in Soldotna is featuring The Retired Hands through Friday.
· Winners of the Arctic Winter Games “Release the Spirit Within” quilt art challenge are on display at the Challenger Learning Center of Alaska and the Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center in Kenai and the Aspen Hotel, Robin Place Fabrics, Hutchings Chevrolet, the Soldotna Chamber of Commerce, Kaladi Brothers Coffee, Mykel’s Restaurant, Wells Fargo Bank and Raven’s Roost in Soldotna.
· The Kasilof Historical Society’s cabin museum is open from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, or by appointment. It has historical displays and area artists and crafters are invited to display their work at the cabin on weekends. The cabin is at Mile .5 of Kalifornsky Beach Road. For more information or to set an appointment, call Dave at 262-5125.
· The Kenai National Wildlife Refuge Information Center is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and weekends from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The center is on Ski Hill Road in Soldotna and has educational displays and occasional interpretive programs. For more information, call 262-7021.
· The Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center at 11471 Kenai Spur Highway has "The Kenai Experience," which features art in many mediums, on display through August. It also has animal mounts, historic items and Alaska Native artifacts. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays. For more information, call 283-1991.
· Farmers’ markets with locally produced crafts and produce operate Saturdays at the Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center's parking lot in Kenai and the bus turnaround on Coral Street in Soldotna.
· Soldotna Animal Hospital at 42479 Sterling Highway has original pottery works from area artist Mark Harro on display through July. For more information, call 260-7851.
· The Sing From the Heart contest continues at 6 p.m. Thursdays at Peninsula Center Mall in Soldotna through July 20. For more information, call 252-2678.
· BJ's Lounge in Soldotna has Hobo Jim at 9 p.m. today and Friday. The show on Friday costs $3 after 8 p.m. The Thursday shows are free.
· Veronica’s Cafe in Kenai has an open mic at 6 p.m. today, the Bob Ramponi Jazz Trio at 6:30 p.m. Friday, the Tim Sturm Band at 6:30 p.m. Saturday and a folk jam on the deck at 6 p.m. Tuesday.
· Hooligan’s in Soldotna has an open jam session at 10 p.m. Thursdays, Ten Cent Zen at 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Dan Sullivan at 8 p.m. Sundays, The Free Beer Band at 10 p.m. Mondays, 150 Grit at 10 p.m. Tuesdays and karaoke at 10 p.m. Wednesdays.
· The Rainbow Bar in Kenai has the Mabrey Brothers from 10:30 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and a poker challenge at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays.
· The King's Inn has karaoke with Steve Holloway at 9 p.m. Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays
· The Riverside House in Soldotna has “After 10,” a dance party, Friday and Saturday nights. A DJ plays favorite Top 40 dance music.
· The Hunger Hut in Nikiski has karaoke with Steve Holloway at 9 p.m. Saturdays.
· The Vagabond has Mark Le Brell at 9 p.m. Saturday.
· The Clam Shell Lodge in Clam Gulch has karaoke at 9 p.m. Thursdays and Wishbone Creek at 9 p.m. Saturday.
· The Place Bar and Grill in North Kenai has karaoke at 9 p.m. Saturdays and poker at 7:30 p.m. Sundays and Mondays.
· Sockeye's Restaurant in Kenai Landing has the Rocking G band at 8 p.m. Thursdays, a local musicians jam at 8 p.m. Saturdays, Jay C. Smith from noon to 3 p.m. Sundays and 7 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays and an open mic, hosted by Mike Morgan, at 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays.
· Mykel's Restaurant in Soldotna has Dave Unruh at 6:30 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays.
· Kaladi Brothers in Soldotna has Mike Morgan and Dan Fyfe at 6:30 p.m. Saturday.
· AmVets Post No. 4 in the Red Diamond Center on Kalifornsky Beach Road has karaoke at 8 p.m. Saturdays and blind darts at 2:30 p.m. Sundays.
· George’s Casino 0has a poker challenge at 7:30 p.m. Saturdays and Wednesdays.
· The Maverick Saloon in Soldotna has karaoke at 9 p.m. Mondays.
· The Duck Inn has karaoke at 9 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays.
· Kenai Kennel Club will hold agility, conformation, obedience and rally shows July 7-9 at Skyview High School. Events begin at 9 a.m. and generally end by mid to late afternoon. For more information, call 335-2552.
· Call Orca Theaters at 262-7003 for weekly listings and show times.
· Call Kambe Cinemas at 283-4554 for weekly listings and show times.
Down the Road
· The Elks Club in Homer has a Crane Dance, a celebration of cranes with music, performance and multimedia art from 5 p.m. to 2 a.m. Friday. Flow Motion, a band from Vancouver, Wash. are the featured artists. Tickets, which are $15, are are available at The Homer Bookstore, Solstice Music, Amped Café and online at www.inticketing.com. For more information, call (907) 235-5132.
· The Pier One Theatre has “Crimes of the Herat,” a dark Southern Gothic comedy, at 8:15 p.m. July 7 and 8 and 7:30 p.m. July 9. For reservations or more information, visit www.pieronetheatre.org or call (907) 235-7333.
· Duggan's Waterfront Pub has New Monsoon, a world music and rock act, at 10 p.m. July 7. For more information, call Mike at (907) 235-1921.
· The Anchorage Museum of History and Art has on display “Hunters of the Sky: An Exhibition on Birds of Prey” and “Southwest Alaska: A World of National Parks and Wildlife Refuges at the Crossroads” though Sept. 17. Hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily and 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Thursdays.
Peninsula Clarion ©2015. All Rights Reserved.