ANCHORAGE (AP) _ A 15-year-old Chugiak boy lost part of his right thumb Monday after a bomb he had made out of a carbon dioxide canister and gunpowder blew up in his hand.
Anchorage police received the emergency call at 2:47 p.m., said spokesman Ron McGee. The boy had filled a carbon dioxide canister with gunpowder and a makeshift wick. When the boy lit the wick, the bomb exploded in his right hand.
The boy was taken to Providence Alaska Medical Center, where staff reported him in stable condition and preparing for surgery.
McGee said that the police are considering issuing a citation against the boy.
``Obviously this is something that you should not do,'' McGee said
Peninsula Clarion ©2013. All Rights Reserved.