Public health plans closure
Kenai Public Health Center will be closed today. It will open at 8 a.m. Thursday. For more information, call 335-3400.
Steak dinner fundraiser set
The Sterling Senior Center will hold a steak dinner fundraiser from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at the center. Dinner will include twice-baked potatoes, string beans with bacon and onions, rolls, dessert and beverages. The cost is $12.50 for adults and children under 12 $8.50. For more information, call 262-6808.
Unity Run set to start
The fourth annual Kenai, Soldotna Unity Run will be held at 9 a.m. Saturday at the Soldotna High School. 10 mile and 5-kilometer runs will be held on the Unity Trail. Runners may register day of race or in advance at www.soldotnarotary.org.
Walk for Hope fundraiser planned
Hope Community Resources will hold its third annual Walk and Roll for Hope, a community fun run, walk or rollerblade event at 10 a.m. Saturday at its office at 43335 Kalifornsky Beach Road Suite 27.
Participants may choose to walk a 4-, 6- or 11-mile route down the bike path, returning to the office. Detailed route information is available on the pledge form.
Shuttle service is available to pick up any participants at any check station along the route.
Proceeds will benefit peninsula residents who experience a developmental disability. For more information, call 260-9469 or download the registration form at www.hopealaska.org.
Swim lessons make a splash
Swim lessons are offered at the following pools:
· Soldotna High School Swim sessions will be 10 days of lessons, for 40 minutes. Lessons are open for children ages 3 and older. Preregistration is recommended. Lessons will be held: July 9-20 and July 23- Aug. 3. Lessons are offered six different times a day. For more information, call 262-7419. The cost is $40 for swim lessons set. Private lessons are available.
· Kenai Central High School Swim lessons: Eight days of swim lessons for 40 minutes Tuesdays through Fridays (call for times). Preregistration required. Lessons will be held: Tuesday through July 13 (closed July 4); and July 17-27.
The cost is $32 per swim lesson session; $3 for lap swim or open swim; or $25 for a punch card with 10 punches on the card. For more information, call 283-7476.
· Nikiski pool Swimming lessons will be held: July 17- Aug. 2. For more information, call 776-8800.
Watershed plans events
The following events will be held through the Kenai Watershed Forum:
· Naturalist Hike with Dominique Collet at 9 a.m. July 14. Local naturalist Collet, author ofseveral willow guides, will lead the hike near Summit Lake.
· Russian River hikewith Pati Berkhahn at 10 a.m. July 26. Visit aremote field camp of Russian River. Pati Berkhahn, afishery biologist and project leader for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, will lead the hike. She will describe the complex relationshipsthat form during the salmon runs.
For more information, visit www.kenaiwatershed.org/summerprograms.html.
Peninsula Clarion ©2014. All Rights Reserved.