Current weather

  • Scattered clouds
  • 54°
    Scattered clouds

Ouzinkie man dies in fire

Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2001

ANCHORAGE (AP) -- An Ouzinkie man died Monday after he was overcome by fumes and smoke while apparently trying to get out of a burning house.

Alaska State Troopers said Timothy Panamarioff Jr., 65, was trapped inside when the fire call came in at 6 p.m.

Panamarioff was transported to Kodiak by Coast Guard helicopter and taken to Providence Kodiak Island Medical center, where he was pronounced dead after extensive lifesaving efforts, troopers said.

Troopers said the most likely cause of the fire was a discarded cigarette that landed in something flammable under a porch where people had been smoking prior to the fire. But they said alcohol was believed to be a contributing factor in Panamarioff's death.

Ouzinkie is about 10 miles northwest of the city of Kodiak.

CONTACT US

  • 150 Trading Bay Rd, Kenai, AK 99611
  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS