Rescuers workers find missing Juneau hiker

Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2001

JUNEAU (AP) -- Alaska Army National Guard volunteers helped rescue one of their own Monday.

National Guard 2nd Lt. Joshua Shrader, 21, was picked up in the backcountry near Sheep Creek Trail about 12:45 p.m. Monday, two days after hurting himself in a fall down a steep ravine.

Rescue workers from the National Guard, Alaska State Troopers, Juneau Mountain Rescue team, Juneau Police Department, Civil Air Patrol, a search dog rescue team and Temsco Helicopters spent a day and a half looking for Shrader after he failed to return as expected Saturday night from an overnight hike.

National Guard Pfc. Matthew Dubois spotted Shrader from a Temsco helicopter Monday, said Maj. Fred Gamble of the National Guard's 3rd Battalion headquarters in Juneau.

Shrader had put up a tent and was digging out the word ''help'' in the snow.

Shrader, who is also a community service officer with the Juneau Police Department, told rescuers he fell down a steep ravine Saturday morning and lost consciousness. When he came to, he managed to hike back to the top of the ridge and camp, said trooper spokesman Greg Wilkinson.

Low clouds kept visibility at 10-15 feet in the mountains, hampering search efforts. Shrader said he saw and heard rescue helicopters Sunday, but was unable to signal them.

Gamble said Shrader moved his camp to an area where a helicopter would be able to land, and he was spotted during a brief break in the clouds over the noon hour Monday.

Shrader was in no shape to hike off the mountain by himself, Gamble said.

''He was banged up pretty good, he fell pretty good from just looking at him,'' Gamble said.

Troopers said Shrader was taken to Bartlett Regional Hospital, where he was being treated for minor injuries and a possible broken hand.

Shrader's German shepherd, Ludwig, was hiking with him, but Shrader hadn't seen the dog since his fall.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us