Skyview gears up for dogs
The Kenai Kennel Club will host American Kennel Club conformation, agility, obedience and rally shows and trials Friday through Sunday at Skyview High School on the Sterling Highway. Events begin at 8 a.m. each day and generally run until mid afternoon.
Spectators are encouraged to come, but bring seating and be prepared for inclement weather. Only dogs entered are allowed on the grounds. Volunteers also are needed to assist with the venues. For more information, call the kennel club at 335-2552 and leave a message.
Fire station open house set
The Kasilof Fire Station ribbon cutting and open house will be held from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday.
A special FireWise plaque presentation will be made to Kasilof FireWise volunteers. Fire safety, FireWise and insurance information also will be available. For more information, call CES at 262-4792.
Refuge plans July activities
The Kenai National Wildlife Refuge visitor center will host the following events. For more information, call 262-7021:
· Wildlife films Shown daily at noon, 1, 2, 3 and 4 p.m.
At noon, 2 and 4 p.m. "Kenai National Wildlife Refuge: Where Wildlife Comes First" (10 min.) The refuge's wildlife story and learn about its recreational opportunities.
At 1 p.m. "Denali: The Living Eden" (55 min.) Observe the world class wildlife panorama of Denali National Park.
At 3 p.m. "Showdown at Grizzly River" (55 min.) Journey to McNeil River to enjoy the spectacle of grizzlies competing with each other for salmon resources.
Environmental Education Center is open from 10 a.m. to noon and from 1 to 4 p.m. Monday thorough Friday through July 27. Experience the center's "Discovery Room" for ages 4 and up. Find out how to become a Jr. Explorer or head out on the Keen Eye Nature Trail for the self-guided Trail Explorer Program.
· Hidden Lake programs begin at 8 p.m. at the Hidden Lake Amphitheater ((If raining, the program moves to the picnic pavilion near the boat launch.): Fridays Staying Alive! Could you survive if you were injured or lost in the Alaska wilderness? Learn how to construct an emergency shelter, build a fire in the rain, and pack the perfect survival kit; and Saturdays Let's Talk About Relationships. Discover the relationship between lynx and its prey, the snowshoe hare. Find out about their adaptations for Alaskan survival.
Directions to Hidden Lake Campground - Turn south off the Sterling Highway at Mile 58 on to the east entrance of Skilak Lake Road. Drive 3.6 miles west to the Hidden Lake Campground entrance. Turn on to the entrance road and follow signs to amphitheatre and day use parking. Driving time is one hour from Soldotna.
Law library to close
The Kenai Law Library will close Monday until the building project has been completed.
CPHC board meeting set
Central Peninsula Health Centers, Inc. board of directors will meet at 6 p.m. Monday at the Salamatof Centre, 150 N. Willow St. in Kenai. It is open to the public. For more information, call 335-2022 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Garage sale fundraiser planned
The Kenai River Rotary Club of Soldotna will hold its annual garage sale fundraiser from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 28 during Progress Days in Dr. Jerry Hu's parking lot on 125 N. Binkley St. in Soldotna. Donations will be used to fund the Rotary Youth Exchange Program, an international student exchange program. For more information, e-mail email@example.com.
Classes set to reunite
· Skyview High School class of 1997 will hold its 10-year reunion July 27-29. Events scheduled are: happy hour at Hooligans July 27 at 7 p.m.; dinner at Paradisos July 28 at 6 p.m.; and a family picnic at Soldotna Creek Park July 29 at noon. Everyone is invited to the picnic who attended Skyview, even if they did not graduate with the class. R.S.V.P. is required for the dinner and picnic. For more information, e-mail Kanani at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Soldotna High School class of 1997 is planning a class reunion for July 27-29 at Kenai Landing. Class members are sought for updates on how they have spent the past 10 years. Anyone who attended SoHi with the class is invited to the reunion, whether they graduated with the class or not. For more information, call Theresa Sin at email@example.com.
· The Soldotna High School class of 1987 reunion will be held at Kenai Landing from July 27 to the 29. For more information or R.S.V.P. forms, visit www.soldotnahighschool.com or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Peninsula Clarion © 2015. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us