Fire causes estimated $35,000 in damages

Posted: Friday, July 13, 2001

Buckets Sports Grill in Soldotna found need for a pail or so of fire retardant when a kitchen fire started about 10:20 a.m. Thursday.

Central Emergency Services determined the fire was caused when a buildup of grease in the ventilation hood system ignited and spread into the structural part of the building.

There were no injuries to the occupants of the business or to the firefighters.

There was a minimum of smoke damage, according to Andy Kriner, owner and manager.

"We will be shut down maybe a week," he said.

Thanks to the standard code requiring double 5/8-inch Sheet-rock around the stack, the fire was contained.

Most of the damage occurred when firefighters had to bust into the Sheetrock to make sure the fire hadn't spread up into the structure, said Kriner.

The building was open for business when a worker went outside and noticed smoke and flames coming from the top of the roof.

A 911 call had CES quickly on the scene. CES responded with two engines, four command vehicles, one ladder truck, an ambulance and one rescue truck.

The first arriving unit reported smoke and flames showing from the roof over the kitchen area, and it was then determined the fire was coming from the roof's grill ventilation system vent.

The fire was contained to the area around the ventilation system and declared under control in eight minutes and completely extinguished in 19 minutes after the arrival of CES.

Ten CES personnel attacked the fire, including an interior attack crew that fought the fire in the kitchen in the overhead ceiling around the ventilation system. Consequently, the fire was contained in the kitchen area above the grill and in the ventilation system.

According to CES estimates, the entire building suffered light smoke damage. Property loss was estimated at $20,000 for the ventilation system, $5,000 for fire structural damage, and $10,000 smoke damage.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS