· The Sing From the Heart contest continues at 6 p.m. Thursdays at Peninsula Center Mall in Soldotna through Aug. 3. (See story, this page.)
Events and Exhibits
· “Fish On,” an informational comedy show about fishing on the Kenai Peninsula, runs at 1, 3 and 6 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday at the Triumvirate Theatre in the Peninsula Center Mall in Soldotna. Tickets are $10 for general admission and $8 for seniors. For more information, call 953-7262.
· Artworks in Soldotna has the work of painter Chris Wakefield on display through July.
· Frames and Things in the Blazy Mall in Soldotna has the originals and prints from painter Bruce W. Nelson through July.
· Kaladi Brothers in Soldotna is featuring Dominique Collett through July.
· The Kasilof Historical Society’s cabin museum is open from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, or by appointment. It has historical displays and area artists and crafters are invited to display their work at the cabin on weekends. The cabin is at Mile .5 of Kalifornsky Beach Road. For more information or to set an appointment, call Dave at 262-5125.
· The Kenai National Wildlife Refuge Information Center is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and weekends from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The center is on Ski Hill Road in Soldotna and has educational displays and occasional interpretive programs. For more information, call 262-7021.
· The Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center at 11471 Kenai Spur Highway has “The Kenai Experience,” which features art in many mediums, on display through August. It also has animal mounts, historic items and Alaska Native artifacts. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays. For more information, call 283-1991.
· Farmers’ markets with locally produced crafts and produce operate Saturdays at the Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center’s parking lot in Kenai and the bus turnaround on Coral Street in Soldotna.
· The Kenai Fine Arts Center has teapots and wallhangings by Ida Cockroft and watercolors from Pam Mersch through July.
· Veronica’s Cafe in Kenai has an open mic at 6 p.m. today, the Bob Ramponi Jazz Trio at 6:30 p.m. Friday, Katie Evans and Stephanie Bouchard at 6:30 p.m. Saturday and a folk jam on the deck at 6 p.m. Tuesday.
· Hooligan’s in Soldotna has an open jam session at 10 p.m. Thursdays, 9 spine at 10 p.m. Friday, a 1970s party with a costume contest and music from 9spine at 10 p.m. Saturday, Dan Sullivan at 7 p.m. Sundays, The Free Beer Band at 10 p.m. Mondays, 150 Grit at 10 p.m. Tuesdays and karaoke at 10 p.m. Wednesdays.
· Kenai Joe’s has Ten Cent Zen at 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
· The Rainbow Bar in Kenai has the Mabrey Brothers from 10:30 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and a poker challenge at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays.
· The King’s Inn has karaoke with Steve Holloway at 9 p.m. Thursdays, Fridays ad Mondays.
· The Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center has “A Patchwork of Quotes” with storyteller Carol Ford at 11 a.m. Friday, a rocket-building workshop for children called “The Rocket Blaster Challenge” at 11 a.m. Monday and Hobo Jim at 3 p.m. Wednesday.
· The Riverside House in Soldotna has “After 10,” a dance party, Friday and Saturday nights. A DJ plays favorite Top 40 dance music.
· The Hunger Hut in Nikiski has karaoke with Steve Holloway at 9 p.m. Saturdays.
· The Vagabond has Mark Le Brell at 9 p.m. Saturday.
· The Clam Shell Lodge in Clam Gulch has karaoke at 9 p.m. Thursdays.
· The Place Bar and Grill in North Kenai has karaoke at 9 p.m. Saturdays and poker at 7:30 p.m. Sundays and Mondays.
· Sockeye’s Restaurant in Kenai Landing has the Rocking G band at 8 p.m. Thursdays, Mike Morgan at 7:30 p.m. Fridays, local musicians at 8 p.m. Saturdays, Jay C. Smith from noon to 3 p.m. Sundays and 7 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays and an open mic, hosted by Morgan, at 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays.
· Mykel’s Restaurant in Soldotna has Dave Unruh at 6:30 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays.
· Kaladi Brothers in Soldotna has Nancy Anderson at 6:30 p.m. Saturday.
· AmVets Post No. 4 in the Red Diamond Center on Kalifornsky Beach Road has karaoke at 8 p.m. Saturdays and blind darts at 2:30 p.m. Sundays.
· George’s Casino has a poker challenge at 7:30 p.m. Saturdays and Wednesdays.
· The Maverick Saloon in Soldotna has karaoke at 9 p.m. Mondays.
· The Duck Inn has karaoke at 9 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays.
· The Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center will have the following events at 11 a.m. over the next two weeks: “Concretions: Freaks & Stones,” a presentation with Mike Carlson on July 21 and 26, “Leave No Trace: Outdoor Skills and Ethics” with Natasha Ala on July 24, musician David Edwards-Smith on July 28, “Digital Photography: Get with the Flow” with Bill Heath on July 31, “Volcanos of the Cook Inlet” with Jennifer Adleman on Aug.2 and “Caring for your Catch” with Dave Atcheson on Aug. 4. All the programs are free and open to the public. For more information, call 283-1991.
· Call Orca Theaters at 262-7003 for weekly listings and show times.
· Call Kambe Cinemas at 283-4554 for weekly listings and show times.
Down the Road
· Pier One Theatre has “Crimes of the Heart” at 7:30 p.m. today and Sunday and 8:15 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Tickets are $8 today, $13 on Friday and Sunday and $25 on Saturday. The Saturday show includes dinner. For more information, call (907) 235-7333 or visit www.pieronetheatre.org.
· The Pratt Museum is celebrating “Bug Week” through Saturday. The museum has a “Wet Bugs” creek walk at 1 p.m. today, a build a bug costume design workshop for children grades kindergarten through 12 at 3 p.m. Friday and a fish feeding at 4 p.m. Friday. Children who dress in their costumes receive free admission to the museum on Saturday. The museum, located at 3779 Bartlett St. in Homer, is open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily.
· The Anchorage Museum of History and Art has on display “Hunters of the Sky: An Exhibition on Birds of Prey” and “Southwest Alaska: A World of National Parks and Wildlife Refuges at the Crossroads” though Sept. 17. Hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily and 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Thursdays.
· The Begich/Boggs Visitors Center in Portage has “Inspirations from the Forest” through July 30. The center will host a program called “A Celebration of Culture and Art” at 4 p.m. Sunday. For more information, call (907) 783-2326 or visit www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach.
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us