LAS VEGAS -- Having quickly finished off another obscure challenger, Shane Mosley called for a big-money rematch against Oscar De La Hoya.
Mosley, the unbeaten WBC welterweight champion, knocked out 20-1 underdog Adrian Stone in the third round of their title bout Saturday night.
''I don't know if Oscar wants to fight me, but he needs to fight me. He needs to try to get his revenge,'' said Mosley, who took the title from De La Hoya with a 12-round decision in Los Angeles last summer.
Mosley's promoter, Cedric Kushner, backed up the challenge by faxing an offer to De La Hoya's camp -- $10 million to De La Hoya for meeting Mosley again.
''I guess people want that, want to see me fight De La Hoya,'' Mosley said. ''If that's what the fans want, so be it. I was thinking about Vernon Forrest as my next fight, but that (De La Hoya) is much more lucrative.''
Mosley, who earned $4.5 million to De La Hoya's $15 million when he beat him last June, said he would want parity for the rematch, meaning $10 million or whatever De La Hoya gets.
Kushner did not set a time limit for De La Hoya to decide, but he did say, ''If it looks like Oscar is not going to accept it, Shane will go on to other business.''
Kushner added, ''There are two other champions out there (the IBF's Forrest and the WBA's Andrew Lewis) and Shane wants to unify the title.''
Mosley, feeling his way in the first two rounds against Stone, stunned him with a powerful right, then sent the challenger crashing to the canvas with another right several seconds later to end their match before a crowd of 4,900 at the 5,100-seat Caesars Palace pavilion.
Mosley (38-0, 35 knockouts) was coming off the ropes when he landed the shot to Stone's head that signaled the beginning of the end for the fighter from England.
As Stone reeled around the ring, Mosley threw a quick flurry of punches, then hit him with another solid right. Stone's knees buckled and he fell backward with a thud.
The end came at 2:01 of the third in what was Mosley's third defense of the WBC crown. The 29-year-old Mosley, from Pomona, Calif., has knocked out challengers Shannan Taylor and Antonio Diaz. Mosley stopped Taylor in the fifth round, and Diaz was counted out in the sixth.
Stone, 30, a native of Bristol, England, who lives in Paterson, N.J., is 30-4-2, with 23 knockouts.
Both he and Mosley, who earned $3.5 million, weighed the 147-pound limit.
The heavyweight bout on the undercard was even shorter than the main event -- Jameel McCline knocked Michael Grant down with the first punch of the fight, then referee Tony Weeks halted the match 43 seconds into the first round as the dazed Grant hobbled on an injured right ankle.
McCline, from Clinton, N.J., dropped Grant with a powerful left as the two first engaged in the center of the ring. Grant said afterward that his feet weren't set when McCline hit him and that caused the ankle injury.
Grant got up, but McCline continued to pound him until the referee stopped the bout. Grant had to be helped out of the ring, his ankle wrapped in ice.
McCline, who weighed 260 pounds, improved to 26-2-3, with 16 knockouts. The loss was just the second -- but second in a row -- for Grant, 254 pounds, from Norristown, Pa.
Grant (31-2) was knocked out in the second round by Lennox Lewis in their title bout on April 29 of last year.
McCline, who didn't turn pro until he was 25 and who had just one amateur bout, has won his last 26 fights.
Peninsula Clarion ©2015. All Rights Reserved.