The greens at Birch Ridge Golf Course are absolutely lush and putting absolutely true! It is nice when you hit the perfect pitch shot onto the green and the ball behaves accordingly.
* This Saturday the Seward Seahawks Athletic Booster Club will have a fundraiser at Birch Ridge Golf Course with the following weekend the 37th Annual Peninsula Amateur Tournament. Nolan Rose is the defending champion and will be back defending his title. Contact Birch Ridge Golf Course to sign up for this fabulous two-day event.
* The Soldotna Elks is hosting the Phil Turkington Tournament on Aug. 7. This will be an 18-hole scramble with prizes for long drive -- women and men -- closest to the hole on the par threes and capped off with a steak dinner. Contact either Birch Ridge Golf Course or Gary Brumley (398-2847) to sign up for this marvelous event. Proceeds from this event go to the Elks Scholarship fund that provides scholarships to local high school seniors. Phil was a great supporter of golf, particularly junior golf here on the Kenai Peninsula.
* The Peninsula Clarion on Sunday ran the story and results from last weekend's Senior Peninsula Amateur. Congratulations go out to John Dahlgren, men's Master Division; Chuck Rider, low net men's Master Division; Rene Alvarez, men's Jr./Sr. Division; Sid Cox, low net men's Jr./Sr. Division; Linda Murphy, women's Master Division; Barbara Mee, low net women's Master Division; Ardie Crawford, women's Jr. Division; Lisa Parker, low net women's Junior Flight. Scott Schlieve had long drive for the men on Saturday with Ardie Crawford getting the long drive for the ladies. Closest to the pin held for a long time on No. 6 with Jeff Hetrick finally acing out Marty Arnoldy. On No. 8 Gordie Briscoe had a fabulous shot off the tee to bring home the honors.
* Our condolences go out to Tom Walsh, head pro at Birch Ridge Golf Course, who lost his father on Sunday. We are sorry for your loss Tom.
* Senior League had nine seniors come out in the cool, moist weather. To quote one of the seniors, "Nice day for golf." Pat McElroy led the way with a net 32 and was closest to at No. 8 at eight feet; however, rumor has it he missed the birdie putt. George Collum was close on No. 6 with the tee shot 20 feet, 8 inches short of the pin and Dayne Clark had the long putt on No. 9 with an 18-foot, 5-inch effort. Seniors will be back at it again next Monday. See you then.
* Tuesday Morning Ladies League found 12 ladies not deterred by the cool weather and found it was an excellent day for chip-ins. Three ladies -- Louise Schadle, Beth Roseberry and Kathy Herring -- had chip-ins during their round with Kathy Herring also picking up a birdie on the day. Engaging in multiple activities during the round, the ladies had prices for low net and best poker hand. Playing a great poker hand were Elaine Anderson, Val Ischi, Jane Tongen and Dee Richards. First place low net went to Louise Schadle, Beth Roseberry, Carol Hussey and Kathy Herring. Three chip-ins really helped their score for sure! Second place low net was Tanya Boedeker, Nancy Haerer, Rita Geller and Elaine Anderson. Nancy and her husband, Wayne, previously lived on the Kenai Peninsula and were in town for an assessors conference. Welcome back Nancy and Wayne. To complete her magnificent round of play, Kathy Herring also had closest to on No. 6. Way to play Kathy!
* Tuesday Couples Night played a round of "two-person odd-even" where each person played their own game. On odd numbered holes the team circled the lowest net score and on even numbered holes the lowest gross score. The twist -- you had to use every club in your bag at least once. The rain kept a few away but those that did show up to play all had a net 35 for the round so winners were decided in a card-off. The cards fell right for Susan and Darell Jelsma who found themselves in first place with Linda and Dan Murphy second and Tanya and Tom Boedeker third. Couples Night is a great time to get out golfing with your spouse/significant other or friend. This year thanks and a big shout out go to Jane Tongen, Terri and Gene Diamond and Linda Murphy for keeping things on track for Couples Night. Without your help and guidance it would not happen.
* Alaska Golf Trivia -- A number of former Alaska Junior Golfers and Junior State Amateur Champions now have their PGA card and work in the golf industry.
* Erin's Tip of the Week -- compliments of Erin Bell, PGA assistant pro, Big Spring Golf Course:
"Golf is a game of coordination, rhythm and grace; women have these to a high degree."
-- Babe Didrikson Zaharias
* This shot is meant to fly a long distance and sit softly -- use it when there is an obstacle between you and the pin
* Set up with ball in the middle of a narrow stance and choke down on the grip -- your feet will be open to your target and set the clubface open to match
* Create a slight wrist break with a short backswing
* Accelerate through the shot but do not allow your wrists to break down -- imagine there is a cup of water sitting on your clubface that you do not want to spill
* This Week's Events (Check in at least 15 minutes prior to the time shown below):
Monday -- Senior League, 9 a.m.; Tuesday's -- Tuesday Morning Ladies League, 10 a.m.; Tuesday's -- Couple's Night, 6 p.m.; Wednesday -- Men's Night, 6 p.m.; Thursday's -- Ladies Night, 6 p.m.
* Upcoming Events: Saturday -- Seward Seahawks Athletic Booster Club Tournament; Saturday, July 31 -- 38th Annual Peninsula Amateur Tournament, Day 1; Sunday, August 1 -- 38th Annual Peninsula Amateur Tournament, Day 2; Saturday, August 7 -- Phil Turkington Classic (Soldotna Elks Tournament); Saturday, August 21 -- Bassackwards Tournament; Saturday, August 28 -- Ninilchik Native Dissidents Tournament, Day 1; Sunday, August 28 -- Ninilchik Native Dissidents Tournament, Day 2.
Birch Ridge Golf Course can be reached by calling 262-5270 or visit the web site at www.birchridgegolf.com.
Senior Peninsula Amateur Results Sponsored by Birch Ridge Golf Association
John Dahlgren 77/79 - 156
Jerry Norris 78/80 - 158
Gary Stackhouse 77/82 - 159
Pat Cowan 81/83 - 164
Darell Jelsma 84/81 - 165
Al Fry 78/88 - 166
Vince Mee 82/88 - 170
John Davis 84/89 - 173
Don McGhee 84/90 - 174
Chuck Ruder 92/87 - 189 (low net)
Pat Bowen 91/101 - 192
Dave Stein 107/90 - 197
Gordon Briscoe 97/105 - 202
Men's Jr/Sr Flight
Rene Alvarez 81/78 - 159
Jeff Hetrick 77/82 - 159
Mike Chenault 77/84 - 161
George Stein 79/83 - 162
Derrill Weaver 78/85 - 163
Mike Hollingsworth 85/78 - 163
Marty Arnoldy - 77/84 - 161
Eddie Sibolboro 84/85 - 169
Sid Cox 89/83 - 172 (low net)
Jerry Herring 95/90 - 185
Steve Horn 96/92 - 188
Scott Schlieve 94/96 - 190
Mick Wykis 93/102 - 195
Steve Tachick - 101/98 - 199
Linda Murphy 96/96 - 192
Barbara Mee 100/99 - 199 (low net)
Sharon Keating 107/96 - 203
Carolyn Schaefer 115/119 - 234
Ardie Crawford 88/86 - 174
Tanna Chenault 87/94 - 181
Lisa Parker 93/90 - 183 (Low net)
Sue Stein 100/101 - 201
Lore Weimer 108/105 - 213
Peninsula Clarion ©2013. All Rights Reserved.