Fire scorches Jersey Subs

Soldotna eatery plans to reopen today after electrical blaze

Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007

An electrical fire made things toasty for Jersey's Subs in Soldotna early Thursday morning, but wasn't going to stop the sandwich shop from opening its doors today.

When employees came to work they found the store flooded and soot everywhere. Jersey Subs owner Chris Fallon said the store remained closed as workers mopped up the floor, put a new coat of paint on the walls and cleaned up the soot.

"We'll open tomorrow morning at 8 a.m." Fallon said Thursday.

Gary Hale, fire marshal for Central Emergency Services, said an extension cord shorted out, causing a plastic drain pipe to erupt in flames and the hot water pipes to burst. Hale said it was hard for firefighters to pinpoint the exact time the fire started because it occurred in the middle of the night, but the fire appeared to start under a preparation area.

"We got the call close to 7:30 a.m. and they had most of the furniture already moved out of the place," Hale said, adding that Jersey Subs will have to find an electrician before they can open back up. "The water put the fire out and left them with one large mess. They'll have to hurry up in order to open."

Jessica Cejnar can be reached at jessica.cejnar@peninsulaclarion.com.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS