A 6-year-old boy ignited the bedding of the mattress his grandmother was lying on, starting a fire that caused $25,000 in damage Wednesday.
Connie Evans, 45, called 911 at 3:49 p.m. and reported her bed on fire at 48345 Daisy Ave. in Soldotna, said Central Emergency Services Fire Marshal Gary Hale.
The fire was caused by the use of a lighter.
CES first-responder Keith Hamilton arrived on scene four minutes after the call and reported brown smoke coming from the rear of the house, Hale said.
The first engine responded nine minutes after the alarm and had the fire "under control" within 15 minutes. The fire was declared "out" 40 minutes later.
Evans told fire officials she and her grandson, Tyler, were in the master bedroom when the fire broke out. Evans told her grandson to exit the house as soon as she saw flames, Hale said.
Evans stayed in the house to call for help and attempted to extinguish the fire with no success, according to the report.
Paramedics took Evans to Central Peninsula Hospital for smoke inhalation treatment, Hale said.
The second-floor master bedroom sustained the majority of the damage to the two-story home, he said. The remainder of the house suffered moderate heat and smoke damage.
Mike Nesper can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Peninsula Clarion ©2013. All Rights Reserved.