ANCHORAGE (AP) -- A man was found dead outside his home in Quinhagak early Monday morning after it appears he was inhaling propane gas, Alaska State Troopers said.
Troopers received a call from tribal police in the village on the Kuskokwim Bay coast 425 miles southwest of Anchorage that Peter White, 24, was unconscious outside his family's home with a 100-pound bottle of propane next to him.
Village health aides had attempted to resuscitate White without success when troopers arrived. White was declared dead at the scene.
According to troopers, propane is a commonly abused inhalant, along with gasoline and other aerosols. Propane replaces oxygen in the lungs and causes suffocation at high doses. It also acts as a brain and nervous system depressant.
Peninsula Clarion ©2013. All Rights Reserved.