JUNEAU (AP) -- A 3-year-old Kake girl was badly burned by water that had been boiled for purification after the community's aging dam broke.
Brittany Bourdon was burned from her chin to her abdomen, about 25 to 30 percent of her body, family friend Janet Sheldon said. The girl was airlifted to the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage early Wednesday morning.
''It looks like she is wearing a T-shirt of blisters,'' Sheldon said.
Delphine Bourdon, Brittany's mother, was microwaving water to dissolve yeast to make bread when Tuesday's night's accident occurred.
''It looks like we will be here for a while,'' Bourdon said. ''They will have to do skin grafts on her eventually.''
The dam at Kake's water reservoir failed last week, leaving the town without safe drinking water for several days.
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us