Sports Briefs

Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2002

Kenai volleyball practice starts Monday

Volleyball practice at Kenai Central High School starts Monday and goes from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Please bring a parent for the first 45 minutes. Practices will be at the same time through Friday. Also, any players interested in the Skyview volleyball camp on Aug. 7 and 8 should contact Sheila Kupferschmid at 262-1476.

Pennsylvania angler takes Seward derby

Cathleen Rioux of Bernville, Pa., took Week 13 of the Seward Jackpot Halibut Tournament 2002 with an 86-pound, 2-ounce fish that was closest to the target weight of 85 pounds. Rioux won $500.

Chris Winters of Anchorage took second and won $250, plus gift certificates, with a 79-pound, 6-ounce catch.

Taking third and $125 plus gift certificates was Tom Weaver of Eagle River with his 76-pound, 2-ounce catch.

McDowell wins July in Homer derby

The Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby announced its July winners. Taking first was Clayton McDowell of Eagle River with his 347-pound fish. McDowell landed the fish on July 28 and also leads the overall derby.

Joe Simpson of Anchorage was second with a 313.6-pound fish caught on July 31; Dave Crawford of Clinton, Utah, was third with a 284.6-pound fish caught on July 21; John Capstick of Kendal, England, was fourth with a 240.4-pound fish caught on July 30; and Michael Severin of Running Springs, Calif., was fifth with a 233.2-pound fish caught on July 16.

The competition also has started for the August derby. David Opsahl of Austin, Minn., is in first with a 235-pound fish caught on Aug. 1. In second is Susan Lowenbach of Pawleys Island, S.C., with a 161.6-pound fish caught on Aug. 1.

Suspect will fight extradition to the United States

VENICE, Italy -- In a move that could add weeks of legal wrangling to an already complex case, a reputed Russian mobster charged with trying to fix two Olympic figure skating events will fight extradition to the United States.

Alimzhan Tokhtakhounov said ''no'' Tuesday when asked at a closed hearing in Santa Maria Maggiore prison if he would consent to extradition, according to Judge Giannicolo Rodighiero.

''The judge explained the conditions of the New York court request to Mr. Tokhtakhounov,'' defense lawyer Luca Saldarelli said. ''Then the judge asked him if he would consent to the extradition process and he said: 'No, I want to have the complete procedure under the Italian law.'''

Stewart fined $10,000 for punching photographer

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Tony Stewart was fined $10,000 and put on probation for the rest of the year by NASCAR on Tuesday for punching a photographer after the Brickyard 400.

Stewart hit Gary Mook, a freelance photographer for the Indianapolis Star, as Mook tried to take pictures of the driver following his 12th-place finish Sunday. NASCAR also told Stewart to apologize formally to Mook.

Doubleday accuses baseball of 'phantom losses'

NEW YORK -- A co-owner of the New York Mets accused baseball commissioner Bud Selig of conspiring with a former Arthur Andersen accountant to ''manufacture phantom operating losses'' in the sport's books.

Nelson Doubleday, in papers filed Tuesday in federal court in New York, said the commissioner's office was ''in cahoots'' with Fred Wilpon, his co-owner, to put an artificially low value on the team. Wilpon is attempting to buy out Doubleday under the provisions of an agreement they made when they bought the team in 1986.

Evans walks, expected to be released Wednesday

CANTON, Ohio -- Texans safety Leomont Evans walked in the hospital Tuesday, and showed so much improvement that he was expected to return to Houston and begin rehabilitation this week.

Evans bruised his spinal cord in a collision during the first half of the Texans' NFL debut in the Hall of Fame game Monday night and temporarily lost feeling in his arms and legs.

Texans physician Dr. Walter Lowe said Tuesday evening in Houston that Evans continued to improve. He said Evans would remain in Aultman Hospital in Canton overnight and return to Houston on Wednesday.

''He's doing great but is a little scared about the seriousness of it,'' Lowe said.

Lowe declined to say if Evans would return to playing.

''There is a lot of information that still has to be gathered including personal information, before any decision like that can be made,'' Lowe said.

Lowe said Evans would begin rehabilitation work when he returns.

The Texans returned to Houston early Tuesday morning after the 34-17 loss to the New York, but left behind a member of their training staff to be with Evans.

Early in the second quarter of Monday night's game, Evans was injured while rushing a punt. After crossing the line of scrimmage, Evans lowered his helmet and drove it into the chest of Giants running back Sean Bennett.

Evans' body went limp and he dropped to the artificial turf as the ball was kicked.

He was motionless as the play unfolded around him and teammate Avion Black returned the punt 71 yards with 12:24 remaining in the first half.

Houston's training staff went on the field to tend to Evans, who signed with the club as a free agent in December.

As Evans was being treated, the Texans knelt as a group in prayer in front of their bench. On the other sideline, about a dozen New York players -- led by All-Pro Michael Strahan -- dropped to a knee.

Emergency personnel strapped Evans on a backboard and took his facemask off before immobilizing his head and placing him on the stretcher.

Evans, who played at Clemson, was drafted by Washington in the fifth round in 1996.

He started all 16 games with the Redskins in 1999. He was cut in 2000 by Detroit and played last year in the XFL.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us