Injuries pile up in NFL camps

Posted: Friday, August 10, 2001

A day after Baltimore lost star running back Jamal Lewis for the season with a knee injury, the injuries in NFL camps continued to pile up.

Corey Simon, the defensive tackle who finished third in the defensive rookie of the year voting, was taken from the Philadelphia Eagles' practice field in Bethlehem, Pa., with head and neck injuries. He passed a series of tests at Lehigh Valley Hospital and returned to camp six hours later.

''Basically they did an X-ray on his neck and a CAT scan on his brain and a MRI on his neck,'' Eagles head trainer Rick Burkholder said. ''Everything to this date is cleared.''

Simon, who had 9.5 sacks last season, will be examined by neurosurgeons Friday.

The Eagles were not sure whether the injury was to Simon's head or neck.

''We think it was a little bit of both,'' Burkholder said. ''We're still not sure if he was knocked unconscious. He was conscious when I got there and as he clears a little bit we'll be able to tell more.''

Further west in Pennsylvania at Carlisle, the Washington Redskins lost both their starting defensive ends, veterans Bruce Smith and Marco Coleman.

Smith injured his shoulder and Coleman reinjured his back. Both will miss Sunday's game at Kansas City, and coach Marty Schottenheimer refused to speculate beyond that.

The 38-year-old Smith was hurt trying to fend off pulling guard Mookie Moore, who lowered his helmet into Smith's right shoulder. Smith got the better of the collision, but two seconds later he doubled over. X-rays were negative.

''It's a painful injury, but we're relieved it's not more serious,'' Schottenheimer said.

Coleman left on a cart after aggravating his back during individual drills. He had been limited in practice this week because of back spasms.

Smith, who spent all but two of his 17 NFL seasons in Buffalo, where camps were light under Marv Levy and Wade Phillips, has said he his concerned about the physical practices run by Schottenheimer, Washington's new coach.

''Bruce likes to grumble,'' Schottenheimer said Wednesday. ''But the moment he puts his hand on the ground out there, it's all business.''

Baltimore, meanwhile, has now lost two important starters.

Lewis, who ran for 1,364 yards as a rookie last season, is likely to miss the season after tearing a knee ligament. Last week, the Ravens lost right tackle Leon Searcy, signed in the offseason as a free agent, for at least three months with a torn triceps muscle.

Broncos' Griffith has numbness in arm

GREELEY, Colo. -- The mystery surrounding Denver Broncos fullback Howard Griffith is continuing.

Griffith, the lead blocker for three straight 1,000-yard rushers, will be sidelined at least two more weeks because of a pinched nerve causing pain and numbness in his left arm.

The prognosis came after Griffith met with a neck specialist in Los Angeles on Wednesday.

Glenn gone again

BOSTON -- Terry Glenn missed training camp for the fifth consecutive day Thursday after the agent for the New England Patriots wide receiver encouraged him to return.

''I think he feels the team doesn't want him,'' agent James Gould said. Going to camp ''would give us an opportunity to have a very frank dialogue with the Patriots.''

Glenn has stayed away without the team's permission since the NFL suspended him last Friday for the first four regular-season games for violating its substance abuse policy.

The Patriots did not practice Saturday but had workouts Sunday through Wednesday before conducting a walkthrough of their plays Thursday for Friday night's exhibition opener against the New York Giants at Foxboro Stadium.

Glenn is allowed to practice and play in exhibition games before the suspension takes effect but was sidelined with a knee injury before leaving camp.

The Patriots can withhold $8.75 million of his deferred signing bonus that hasn't been paid. He's already received $2.75 million of bonus money. Gould hoped the team wouldn't keep the money.

''I'm not saying he's right not to be there,'' Gould said in a telephone interview Thursday, but ''they don't have to take the money and if they take the money he's not going to be there anyway.''

Gould said that during a telephone call with Glenn on Wednesday he encouraged him to return but that Glenn hadn't made up his mind. Team spokesman Stacey James said Glenn was not in camp Thursday.

Glenn has never tested positive or refused to take random urine tests ordered by the NFL, Gould said. The decision to suspend Glenn, he said, ''was improper.''

Players in the substance abuse program must take the test within 24 hours of being notified of it. Gould said Glenn never received a call to take a test that the league said was placed to his cell phone.

Gould said he's been outspoken about the issues because ''I'm representing my client. I'm actually the one guy that's tried to talk him into coming in.

''I also said to him if he chose not to go, even if I didn't agree with him, I would support him.''

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us