Events and Exhibits
· The Kenai Peninsula Orchestra’s Summer Music Festival will take place through Sunday at various times and locations in Kenai, Soldotna and Homer. The DeVere Quartet and Friends will perform at 7:30 p.m. Sunday at Homer High School; a Gala Concert with Laura Koenig, with the premiere of Adrienne Albert’s “In the Beginning” will take place at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Kenai Central High School and 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Homer High School. Tickets for the events are $15. Free luncheon concerts, beginning at noon, will be held daily through Friday at various locations. For more information, visit http://kpoalaska.org.
· Kaladi Brothers in Soldotna is featuring Kevin Harding through August.
· The Kasilof Historical Society’s cabin museum is open from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, or by appointment. It has historical displays and area artists and crafters are invited to display their work at the cabin on weekends. The cabin is at Mile .5 of Kalifornsky Beach Road. For more information or to set an appointment, call Dave at 262-5125.
· The Kenai National Wildlife Refuge Information Center is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and weekends from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The center is on Ski Hill Road in Soldotna and has educational displays and occasional interpretive programs. For more information, call 262-7021.
· The Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center at 11471 Kenai Spur Highway has “The Kenai Experience,” which features art in many mediums, on display through August. It also has animal mounts, historic items and Alaska Native artifacts. The center also has music from the Midnight Sun Trio at 11 a.m. Friday, a photo presentation on the proposed Pebble Mine at 11 a.m. Wednesday and a performance from Hobo Jim at 3 p.m. Wednesday. All programs are free and open to the public. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays.
For more information, call 283-1991.
· Farmers’ markets with locally produced crafts and produce run Saturdays at the Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center’s parking lot in Kenai and the bus turnaround on Coral Street in Soldotna.
· Christ Lutheran Church in Soldotna has a bluegrass jam at 6:30 p.m. today.
· Veronica’s Cafe in Kenai has an open mic at 6 p.m. today, the Bob Ramponi Jazz Trio at 6:30 p.m. Friday, Mike Morgan and Friends at 6:30 p.m. Saturday and a folk jam on the deck at 6 p.m. Tuesday.
· Hooligan’s in Soldotna has an open jam session at 10 p.m. Thursdays, 9spine at 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Dan Sullivan at 7 p.m. Sundays, The Free Beer Band at 10 p.m. Mondays, 150 Grit at 10 p.m. Tuesdays and karaoke at 10 p.m. Wednesdays.
· The Rainbow Bar in Kenai has the Mabrey Brothers from 10:30 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and a poker challenge at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays.
· The King’s Inn has karaoke with Steve Holloway at 9 p.m. Thursdays, Fridays and Mondays.
· The Riverside House in Soldotna has “After 10,” a dance party, Friday and Saturday nights. A DJ plays favorite Top 40 dance music.
· The Vagabond Inn has Ten Cent Zen at 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
· The Hunger Hut in Nikiski has karaoke with Steve Holloway at 9 p.m. Saturdays.
· The Clam Shell Lodge in Clam Gulch has karaoke at 9 p.m. Thursdays and a jam night at 9 p.m. Friday.
· The Place Bar and Grill in North Kenai has karaoke at 9 p.m. Saturdays and poker at 7:30 p.m. Sundays and Mondays.
· Sockeye’s Restaurant in Kenai Landing has the Rocking G Band at 8 p.m. Thursdays, Mike Morgan at 7:30 p.m. Friday, local musicians at 8 p.m. Saturdays, Jay C. Smith at 7 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays and an open mic, hosted by Morgan, at 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays.
· Mykel’s Restaurant in Soldotna has Dave Unruh at 6:30 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays.
· Kaladi Brothers in Soldotna has Nancy Anderson at 6:30 p.m. Saturday.
· AmVets Post No. 4 in the Red Diamond Center on Kalifornsky Beach Road has karaoke at 8 p.m. Saturdays and blind darts at 2:30 p.m. Sundays.
· The Maverick Saloon in Soldotna has karaoke at 9 p.m. Mondays.
· The Duck Inn has karaoke at 9 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays.
· The Tim Sturm Band will play a farewell concert at 8 p.m. Aug. 18 at Kenai Central High School. The band will move to Portland, Ore. this fall. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children.
· Kenai Peninsula College will host a gallery opening and barbecue for to open the fall season in the Gary L. Freeburg Gallery from 5:30-7 p.m. Aug. 24 at the college. The work of fiber artist Fran Reed will deliver a slide show lecture titled “Fishskin Baskets and Indigenous Architecture.”
· Duggan’s Pub has the Bay Area-based Flying Other Brothers, with G.E. Smith on guitar, on Aug. 18.
· The Kenai Peninsula State Fair will take place from Aug 18-20 in Ninilchik. A wide variety of events and exhibits are planned. For more information, call Lara at (907) 567-3670.
· Call Orca Theaters at 262-7003 for weekly listings and show times.
· Call Kambe Cinemas at 283-4554 for weekly listings and show times.
Down the Road
· The Fireweed Gallery has the work of Homer ceramic artist Ahna Iredale through August.
· The Sea Lion Gallery on the Homer Spit has the work of marine artist Robert Lyn Nelson through August. For more information, call (907) 235-0104.
· The Pratt Museum has fish feedings at 4 p.m. Fridays and Tuesdays and remote bear viewing cameras open to the public from 1 to 4 p.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays and Wednesdays and Fridays from 3 to 5 p.m.
The museum will also host an opening reception for a display called “The Sami: Reindeer People of Alaska” at 6 p.m. Aug. 18. The museum, located at 3779 Bartlett St. in Homer, is open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily.
· The Anchorage Museum of History and Art has on display “Hunters of the Sky: An Exhibition on Birds of Prey” and “Southwest Alaska: A World of National Parks and Wildlife Refuges at the Crossroads” though Sept. 17. Hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily and 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Thursdays.
What’s Happening submissions may be e-mailed to email@example.com, faxed to 283-3299 or dropped off at the Clarion office at 150 Trading Bay in Kenai.
The deadline for submissions is 5 p.m. Mondays.
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us