Welcome back, golfers. Another week has sped by and still no sign that the rains are going to stop. I hope that you were able to take advantage of some of the brief glimpses of sunshine we have had and play some golf at the Kenai Golf Course.
* A Birdie Told Me -- Gordon and Deborah Griffin are proud new grandparents of a beautiful little girl born on Aug. 6 in Phoenix. Debbie has taken a well deserved break from golfing action to visit the family and to get to know her new granddaughter. This may help to explain why Gordon's "report" is missing in action, but I have no doubt he will return with vengeance next week.
* The seniors were out on the course on Aug. 3. Keith Stuart won low net while Noel Widmayer had low gross. This group meets every Tuesday morning at 9 a.m. and would welcome any interested seniors who would like to join.
* The Alaska Support Industry Alliance Kenai Chapter Tournament was held on July 31 with 112 golfers making up 30 teams. As I reported last week, the winning team, at 13 under par, was Craig Jung, Doug Jung, Chris Murray and Mike Chenault. Coming in second place was the team sponsored by Pioneer/Chevron - Tadd Owens, James Armstrong, Kevin Tabler and Jack Good. The third-place team was Jay Kriner, Mike Azzara, Mark Azzara and Chad Burns. The first-place net team was sponsored by Conoco Phillips, second-place net team by Tesoro and the third-place net team by BP. Closest to the pin on No. 5 was John Johnson. Mike Chenault had the honors on No. 9 while Danny Dykema was closest on No. 10 and Charlie Waguespack on No. 14. Women's long drive on No. 6 was won by Lori Dudley and the men's long drive on No. 2 was won by Dave Clark.
* The 20+ Handicap Tournament sponsored by Waddell & Reed Financial Advisors was held Saturday. First place net was won by Andy Anderson with a 74 followed closely by Tyler Yamata in second place with a 75. Ron Goecke came in third with a 77. Kathy Heus had closest to the pin on No. 5, Bill Bushnell on No. 9, Ryan Hardy on No. 10, and Cliff Smith on No. 14. Denise Cox was the proud winner of a Ping driver.
* The KGA held their monthly event on Sunday. Low gross champion was Todd Eskelin with a score of 78. In the First Division, the first place low net was held by Mark Griffin and second place by Bob Sizemore. In the Second Division, first place low net was held by Joe Deveaux, second place by Keith Stasek and third place by Jeff Johns. Closest to the pins were won as follows: No. 5, Noel Widmayer; No. 9, Jeff Johns; No. 10, Todd Eskelin; No. 14, Mark Griffin; and on No. 18 with his second shot, Noel Widmayer. Skins in the First Division were won by Mark Griffin and Greg Harrington with two each, Todd Eskelin with three and Chris Murray with one. Skins in the Second Division went to Joe Deveaux with two and Kirk Hyman, John Gledden and Keith Stasek with one each.
* This weekend the Donnie Morgan Tournament, our club championship, will be held on Saturday and Sunday. The Memorial Tournament is scheduled for Aug. 28. Please contact the pro shop at 283-7500 to get signed up.
* The Atigun Cup standings through the July KGA Monthly event are as follows: Gross Division: tied for first place with 17 points each are Doug Jung and Chris Murray. Truckee LeMay and Chris Morin are tied for third while Gordon and Mark Griffin are tied for fifth. In the Net Division, Mike Houghton is in first place with 16 points followed very closely by Kirk Hyman with 15 points. Third place is held by Mike Kebschull, fourth by Joe Deveaux and fifth by Jim Bradford.
* I guess I should take this opportunity to mow the grass again; however, I know if I wait a few more minutes it will probably start to rain again! I'd much rather spend the time on the course. I will see you there.
© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us