* Barbara Lavallee will be at Frames & Things in the Soldotna Blazy Mall Friday from 3 to 6:30 p.m. Lavallee is the Illustrator of the book "Mama, Do You Love Me?" and has several new prints and a new book, "The Sourdough Man" available at the show. Refreshments will be served.
* The Kenai Peninsula Orchestra will play a gala concert Friday at the Homer Marine Theater at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. at the Renee C. Henderson auditorium in Kenai to cap off its summer music festival of various "noontime tunes" concerts around the Peninsula. Tickets are $15 for general admission, $12 for senior/youth, and $10 for members of its Raven's Club.
* Mi'shell Reid and Tashina Wortham will perform a free Noontime Tunes concert today at Kaladi Brothers on Kobuk Street in Soldotna, as part of the Kenai Peninsula Orchestra's Summer Music Festival.
* The Kenai Convention and Visitors Center will have a concert by Hobo Jim for all ages Friday at noon as part of the free days at the museum honoring the Kenai Peninsula Orchestra's Summer Music Festival.
* "Peak of the Season Fest" sponsored by Kenai Resilience, a family friendly potluck exchange of local Alaska foods, recipes and ideas, will be held from 4 to 8 p.m. Saturday at Jackson Gardens on John's Road at Mile 103 Sterling Highway. Contact Kate at 260-4669 or www.kenairesilience.org for more information.
<h3>Events and Exhibits</h3>
* Kenai Fine Arts Center has ceramic work by the Kenai Potter's Guild on display throughout August.
* Artist Without Borders has its monthly exhibit at the 4-D Interior Building in Soldotna.
* Kaladi Brothers on Kobuk Street has photographs by Joe Kashi on display for the month.
* Kaladi Brothers on the Sterling Highway in Soldotna has photography by Billy Rhoades on display through August.
* Funky Monkey in Kenai has art by Celia H. Cash during the month of August.
* Art Works continues to exhibit the work of Alice Thaggard in August.
* All students grades seven through 12 are welcome to come to the Hawk Nelson concert in Anchorage August 13 and 14. The cost is $45 which includes transportation, concert ticket, dinner lodging and breakfast the following morning. Space is limited. Call Jeremy at 907-394-6449 to reserve a seat or get more details.
* The Kenai Convention and Visitors Center will have a "How to Look At An Icon" summer speaker series event with Barbara Sweetland Smith, an Anchorage curator and author tonight at 7 p.m. at the center. She will discuss the art and history of iconography in the Russian Orthodox Tradition. Admission is $6 at the door, and proceeds will benefit Programs and Exhibits at the Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center and the Holy Assumption Restoration Project.
* Life Drawing Sessions will be held at the Kenai Fine Arts Center today from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. $5 fee per person, 18 years and above. Call Charlotte at 252-4829 or Will 252-7303.
* The Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center will hold a summer interpretive film series this week about the "Sacred Space, Sacred Time" exhibit, dog sledding, Bush pilots and Alaska natural history daily at 10 a.m., noon, 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. through Saturday. Admission is $5 adults, $3 for seniors and free for students. Call 283-1991 for more information.
* Saturday markets are held from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Kenai Visitors and Cultural Center in Kenai and the bus turnaround by Soldotna Elementary School.
* The Soldotna Historical Museum, on Centennial Park Road off K-Beach Road, is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays, noon to 4 p.m. Sundays and closed Mondays.
* The Kasilof Historical Society's cabin museum is open 1 to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday until Labor Day, or by appointment. It has historical displays, and area artists and crafters are invited to display their work on weekends. The cabin is at Mile 1.5 of Kalifornsky Beach Road. For more information, call 262-2999 or 252-2777.
* The Kenai National Wildlife Refuge Visitors Center on Ski Hill Road outside Soldotna has films on wildlife, the refuge and the history of the area daily at noon, 1, 2, 3 and 4 p.m. For more information and complete program listing, call 262-7021.
* Kenai Joe's will have music by local supergroup 907 on Friday
* St. Elias Brewing Company has music by Curt Hahn tonight from 7 to 9 p.m. and live music by Mike Morgan and friends on Tuesday from 7 to 9 p.m.
* The Funky Monkey Cafe in Kenai will have acoustic pop classics, folk, blues and Hawaiian slack key guitar by Mike Morgan and friends Saturday from 6 to 8 p.m.
* Veronica's in Old Town Kenai will have an open mic Friday at 6:30 p.m. and live music by Sarah Superman Saturday at 6:30 p.m.
* Peninsula Grace Brethren Church Youth Center holds an open mic night for grades seven through 12 from 6 to 7 p.m. Sunday followed by a live performance from 7 to 8 p.m.
* The J-Bar B located at mile 101 Sterling Highway hosts Blind Draw Doubles Horseshoe Tournament every Thursday starting at 6 p.m.
* AmVets Post No. 4 in the Red Diamond Center holds blind draw darts at 7 p.m. Wednesdays; Texas Hold 'em at 7 p.m. Fridays and 4 p.m. Sundays; and open house and dinner at 6 p.m. and karaoke with Mary and Jack at 8 p.m. Saturdays.
* The Bow in Kenai has free Texas Hold 'em at 7 p.m. Monday and Wednesday; live music with Acoustic Rhythm Machine from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. and pool leagues Tuesday; and live music with the Maybrey Brothers Thursday through Saturday.
* Hooligans Saloon in Soldotna has poker Tuesdays and Thursdays starting at 5:30 p.m. and live music Thursday, Friday Saturday and Sunday nights.
* The Duck Inn on Kalifornsky Beach Road has karaoke at 9 p.m. Thursdays through Saturdays.
* The Riverside House in Soldotna hosts the After 10 party Fridays and Saturdays with Rock Star DJ Service and dancing until 5 a.m. On Saturdays starting at 6 p.m. there is a free Poker Night with Texas Hold 'em Tournaments hosted by Kenai Peninsula Poker Association. Hobo Jim will play at the Riverside Friday and Saturday nights throughout the summer from 8 to 11 p.m.
* The 406 in Kenai has karaoke with Steve and Debbie at 9 p.m. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
* Mugz Coffee Lounge in The Blazy Mall will host local musicians from 5 to 9 p.m. Fridays.
* Mykel's in Soldotna has live music by Bob Ramponi Saturdays from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
* Call Orca Theaters at 262-7003 for listings and times.
* Call Kambe Cinemas at 283-4554 for listings and times.
<h3>Down the road</h3>
* The Pratt Museum in Homer is open from noon to 5 p.m., Tuesday's through Sundays. Admission is free on Wednesdays. For more information, visit www.prattmuseum.org.
Submissions may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline is 5 p.m. Mondays.
© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us