Current weather

  • Scattered clouds
  • 54°
    Scattered clouds

Cooper Landing Elementary School

Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004

History: Cooper Landing Elementary School was built in 1972 to serve up to 50 students living in the small community on the Sterling Highway. The kindergarten through eighth-grade school serves about 13 students who hail from 10 different families.

Contact information/b>

Principal Mark Norgren/b>

mnorgren@kpbsd.k12.ak.us

Secretary Barb Atkinson/b>

batkinson@kpbsd.k12.ak.us

Mail-phone/b>:

P.O. Box 990

Cooper Landing, AK 99572

595-1244 (phone)

595-1461 (fax)

Web/b>:

www.kpbsd.k12.ak.us/cles/

Demographics: About 87 percent of Cooper Landing's students are Caucasian, and the rest are Alaska Natives. Approximately 13 percent of students experience disabilities, and 20 percent hail from economically disadvantaged homes.

Staffing: As enrollment declines, Cooper Landing has lost a teacher in the past year. Originally slated to have two full-time teachers in 2003-04, the school ended up with just under two full-time positions. This year, there will be one teacher, plus an additional .30 FTE teaching position. A quarter-time special education serves the school, and a nurse holds limited hours. There is a half-time secretary and a half-time custodian. Cooper Landing's teacher has 11 years experience with the district.

AYP: Cooper Landing Elem-entary School made adequate yearly progress in 2002-03, with 89 percent of students passing both language arts and math tests. In 2003-04, more than 75 percent of students scored proficient in each subject, and the school met AYP.

Cocurricular: Cooper Landing students participate in a small intramural program and some academic competitions.

Registration: Students may register between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Aug. 19 and 20.

Transportation: Contact Laidlaw for bus route information.

School hours: 9 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.



CONTACT US

  • 150 Trading Bay Rd, Kenai, AK 99611
  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS