One person dies in Gambell house fire

Posted: Friday, August 16, 2002

ANCHORAGE (AP) -- An elderly woman died in a house fire in Gambell, Alaska State Troopers said Friday.

Anna K. Okhtokiyuk, 92, died in the fire. Two others were injured. Trooper said the victim's son, Wade Okhtokiyuk, 54, and his niece, Teresa Okhytokiyuk, 23, were treated in Nome for burns.

Wade was later taken to the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage with burns to his upper body and head.

Okhtokiyuk said a smoke alarm woke him and he helped get everyone out of the house, except his mother who was bedridden.

The niece's three children, ages 8 months 4 and 6, were also in the home but escaped unharmed.

The fire started inside a wall behind a refrigerator. It may have been caused by an electrical short, troopers said.



CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS