Current weather

  • Scattered clouds
  • 54°
    Scattered clouds

Man using propane torch to stay warm injured in Juneau car fire

Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2001

JUNEAU (AP) -- A 61-year-old man was hurt and his dog killed during a car fire sparked early Tuesday by a propane torch he was using to stay warm, Juneau authorities said.

The man, whose name was not released, was parked in the Fred Meyer lot when the fire broke out about 3:45 a.m., said Capt. Dave Boddy of Capital City Fire and Rescue. Boddy said a small propane torch caught the dashboard and passenger seat on fire.

The man was taken to Bartlett Regional Hospital, which would not release details of his condition. Boddy said the man got out of the car but fell as he fled, breaking his arm.

The man's dog was killed in the blaze, Boddy said.



CONTACT US

  • 150 Trading Bay Rd, Kenai, AK 99611
  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS