Current weather

  • Scattered clouds
  • 54°
    Scattered clouds

Writer: 'We are not freeloaders'

Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007

We are one of the many RVers who park free on the land that did belong to Troy Hodges. It now belongs to the airport. We have spent the summer in Alaska, primarily in Soldotna.

If it wasn't for the generosity of people like Troy Hodges (and) places like Fred Meyer, where we can dump our tanks, get fresh water and put out trash, many of us could not afford to spend the entire summer here.

While a lot of us are here, we attend churches, volunteer at the food bank, the library, participate in the Progress Days Parade and many other city functions. We eat out a lot at the many different restaurants, purchase groceries, canning supplies, fuel and propane.

We do our laundry and buy our fishing supplies here, take king and halibut fishing trips, fly to fishing resorts and bear watching sites. We also take glacier and sightseeing tours.

My wife and I spent approximately $6,052.86 in the Soldotna area this summer.

We know only about 1 percent of your fine citizens resent our being here, and the other 99 percent make us feel welcome in town, on the fish walks and in church. We love Alaska and Soldotna and look forward to coming back another 10 years or so.

Unfortunately, since the city pressured Troy Hodges into selling his land to the city for the airport, many of us will not be able to spend the entire summer here. The city of Soldotna needs more people like Troy and places like Fred Meyer for the RVers coming this way.

Give it some thought, planning commission.

Bill and Adria Zea

Livingston, Texas



Related Searches

 USD   BILL ZEA LIVINGSTON   SOLDOTNA   TROY HODGES   KING   FOOD BANK   TEXAS   ADRIA ZEA LIVINGSTON   FRED MEYER   ALASKA 

CONTACT US

  • 150 Trading Bay Rd, Kenai, AK 99611
  • Switchboard: 907-283-7551
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-283-3584
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Business Fax: 907-283-3299
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-335-1257
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

MORRIS ALASKA NEWS