Soldotna man wounded in shooting

Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003

A Soldotna man remains in critical condition at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage after being shot at a gathering in Soldotna on Friday night.

Alaska State Troopers received a 911 call from a Soldotna man at about 9:20 p.m. Friday reporting Marvin C. Parazzo Jr., 33, had been shot following a disturbance at a residence near Mile 12.5 of Funny River Road.

Troopers, Central Emergency Services, the Alaska Bureau of Investigation and crime scene investigators responded and found Parazzo had been shot once in the chest with a .338 Winchester rifle, allegedly by 71-year-old Glen P. Moore of Soldotna.

Alcohol is believed to be a factor in the shooting.

According to Dane Gilmore, an investigator with the Alaska Bureau of Investigation in Soldotna, a number of people were gathered at Wayne Bird's residence on Funny River Road when an altercation broke out between Parazzo and his wife, Jennifer. Moore apparently went to the residence with the property owner to complain about the noise and ended up shooting Parazzo, Gilmore said.

Jennifer Parazzo said the family was at the home helping work on a car. She admitted she and her husband began to fight and someone asked them to leave. They agreed and went to say goodbye to the host, Wayne Bird, when Moore and Bird's father, Glen Bird, approached them.

Jennifer Parazzo was loading her kids, ages 4, 3 and 1, into the car, when her husband and Glen Bird exchanged words. Moments later, she said, Glen Moore shot her husband.

"He said something to Marvin, and Marvin said, 'What?' but before Marvin got the word out, he shot him," she said from the critical care unit in Anchorage on Sunday.

Parazzo said she and Glen Bird wrestled the gun away from Moore while he was trying to cock the gun for a second shot, this time at Parazzo's sister, Natalie Hoeldt.

Hoeldt and her husband, Rory, were standing next to Parazzo at the time of the shooting. They echoed his wife's story.

"I was right there. My brother, Marvin, he and my sister-in-law Jennifer were having a dispute, but nobody was getting hurt," Natalie Hoeldt said. "But that had ended, and we walked over to where they were working on another car. I only saw the guy for about three seconds before he shot. He said something to Marv, Marv goes, 'What?' and the guy shot him."

"He tried to reload and shoot again toward my wife, Natalie," Rory Hoeldt added.

After getting the gun away from Moore, the people at the gathering loaded Parazzo into the back of a pickup, told someone to call 911 and drove away to meet the ambulance on Funny River Road, Rory Hoeldt said.

"My kids, they saw their father shot," said Jennifer Parazzo. "They told my mother their father was dead."

An ambulance met the Parazzos near Mile 6 of Funny River Road and took Marvin Parazzo to Central Peninsula General Hos-pital. He later was taken to the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage, where he underwent surgery.

His wife said the bullet missed his heart by about two inches, taking about one-fourth of his lung, breaking some ribs and passing through his back. He remains on a respirator, but is expected to recover, she said.

Moore was arrested for first-degree assault and taken to Wild-wood Pretrial Facility. According to Gilmore, he was arraigned Saturday, but the trooper had no information about the arraignment. According to Jennifer Parazzo, Moore was released into third-party custody at the arraignment.

According to Moore's daughter, who answered his phone Sunday, Moore is at home but has been advised by his attorney not to comment on the case.

He is scheduled to go before a grand jury Friday.

"I just don't understand why he shot," Natalie Hoeldt said.

Subscribe to Peninsula Clarion

Trending this week:


© 2018. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us