Summer has arrived! It is so nice to see the sun. Wouldn't it be nice to set two weather records this summer? Thirty-one days of sun would be awful nice.
* Ten teams turned out Saturday to support junior golf participating in the Bassackwards Tournament. Five strokes separated the first place and last place teams with two teams in a tie for first place. With a card-off, first place went to the team of Aaron Dexheimer, Val Ischi, Myrna Cowan and Pat Cowan with Lee Frey, Dan Murphy and Linda Murphy settling for second place. Lee Frey recently moved to the area so expect we'll see his name again in the golf highlights. Congratulations to Carol Hussey for winning the Mulligan drawing.
* Last week I mentioned a number of the Birch Ridge lady golfers participated in the LeeShore Center's Run for Women. I apologize for not recognizing Cheryl Hammarstrom for her third-place finish in her division.
* Congratulations to Aaron Dexheimer for his Kenai Invitational Pro-Am victory. Aaron was the defending champ, beating Bryan Anderson in two-hole playoff. Birch Ridge had a number of golfers play in the tournament, including Zac Cowan who was home for a week. Zac is completing a degree in professional golf management from New Mexico State and is currently working in Everett, Wash.
* Senior League had 13 seniors starting on a cool, cloudy morning that ended with mostly sunny skies. Chuck Rider was the big winner with a net 30 in addition to holing an 8-foot, 10-inch putt on No. 9. John Davis took honors on No. 6 with his tee shot 16 feet, 7 inches from the hole while Tom Boedeker placed his tee shot within 11 feet, 8 inches on No. 8. The seniors will keep playing as long as the weather holds and the course remains open.
* Tuesday Morning Ladies League will continue to play if the weather is good, or at least not raining hard. Grab those clubs and head out Tuesday mornings. Check in at 9:30 a.m. with tee off at 10 a.m.
* Tuesday Night Couples were subject to a two-person scramble with a putting twist. The gentlemen got 50 percent of their hole handicap while the women got 10 percent to help determine team handicaps. Besides the top two places awards, the 14 teams were also vying to see which couple could have the fewest putts. Two teams were repeat winners from the previous Tuesday Night Couples. Sue and George Stein had both low gross and low net score for first place. Kathy and Jerry Herring tied with two others teams for low gross but eked out to secure second low net. In the putting game, the number of putts ranged from a low of 26 to a high of 35. Sally and Del Hoagland were on the low end with 26 taking the putt pot.
* Men's Birch Ridge Cup had a spectacular evening for the final night! Twenty-six men came out for the final night to see who would capture the 2010 Men's Birch Ridge Cup and play a nine-hole tournament -- three holes in a scotch twosome, three holes in a scramble and a three holes in a best-ball format. Mark and Mike Azzara defeated Tom Hodel and Mark Hutton to take the Men's Cup. Congratulations to the Azzara brothers! Gordie Briscoe with partner Ray Hamby won the final night nine-hole tournament. With two divisions playing through the summer, Mark and Mike Azzara won the Red Division while the Blue Division winners were Ray Hamby and Gordie Briscoe.
* Ladies Birch Ridge Cup has come to an end with Patty Weaver, in her second year of match play, teaming with Lisa Parker to capture the 2010 Ladies Birch Ridge Cup. Next year the team of Sharon Keating and Linda Murphy will run the Ladies Birch Cup. A date has not yet been set for the year-end festivities. Stay tuned.
* Alaska Golf Trivia -- The northern most USGA rated golf course is North Star Golf Course located at Mile 4.5 of the Steese Highway in Fairbanks.
* Erin's Tip of the Week -- compliments of Erin Bell, PGA assistant pro, Big Spring Golf Course
"Luck? Sure. But only after long practices and only with the ability to think under pressure."
-- Babe Didrikson Zaharias
* Try not to use just one club around the greens, you will find the 5-iron or even a hybrid club can produce green shots in certain situations -- as long as you know when to use them
* Try not to always hit the shot that will travel the farthest -- sometimes you will achieve better results by laying up to your favorite yardage
* Keep the spot in mind where you want to hit the ball -- not the spot where you don't want to hit it
* This Week's Events (Check in at least 15 minutes prior to the time shown below): Monday - 9 a.m. - Senior League; Tuesday's - 5:45 p.m. - Couple's Night; Wednesday - 6 p.m. - Men's Night; Thursday's - 6 p.m. - Ladies Night
* Upcoming Events: Saturday -- Ninilchik Native Dissidents Tournament, Day 1; Sunday -- Ninilchik Native Dissidents Tournament, Day 2; Sept. 11 -- Serenity House Alumni Tournament; Sept. 12 -- 3rd Annual Bird & Birch Combined Tournament; Sept. 25 -- Cold Weather Classic - Couples Scotch Twosome
Birch Ridge Golf Course can be reached by calling 262-5270 or visit the web site at www.birchridgegolf.com.
Bassackwards Results - Saturday, Aug. 21
Aaron Dexheimer/Pat Cowan/Myrna Cowan/Val Ischi 34
Dan Murphy/Linda Murphy/Lee Frey 34
Ardie Crawford/KevinO'Fallon/VinceRedford/Jesse Waltemeyer 35
George Stein/Sue Stein/Bruce King 36
Jay Kriner/Mike Hollingsworth/Vicki Hollingsworth 37
Stan Pitlo/Earl Mathis/Rich Poe/Carol Hussey 37
Nolan Rose/Steve Hammarstrom/Dave Stein/Andrea Frey 37
Steve Horn/Sharon Keating/Dave Keating/Lisa Parker 38
Mick Reeve/Ray Hamby/Don McGhee/Dee Richards 39
Sid Cox/Shirley Johnsrud/Denise Cox/Dave Johnsrud 39
© 2017. All Rights Reserved. | Contact Us