ANCHORAGE (AP) A valve failure is to blame for a chlorine gas leak that caused an evacuation at a seafood processing plant in King Cove, state environmental officials said.
About 150 pounds of chlorine gas were released Monday afternoon at Peter Pan Seafoods when the valve failed during a tank change, according to the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation.
Seven plant workers were treated for minor injuries at a local clinic, the agency said.
The plant's hazardous materials team replaced the broken valve, the DEC said.
King Cove is near the tip of the Alaska Peninsula.
Peninsula Clarion ©2013. All Rights Reserved.